TTU Home Official Publications Home

Housing and Hospitality

Sean Duggan, M. Ed., Managing Director
University Student Housing

Wiggins Complex | Box 41141
Lubbock, TX 79409-1141 | T 806.742.2661
F 806.742.2696 |

Kirk Rodriguez, Managing Director
Hospitality Services

Wiggins Complex | 3211 18th St.
Box 42184, Lubbock, TX 79409-2184
T 806.742.1360 | F 806.742.1150 |

Quick Links

T he Texas Tech residence hall system includes a variety of living options and provides convenient and affordable housing for over 7,400 students. Learning Communities provide students with the opportunity to live with others of similar interests or major. Carpenter/Wells Complex, which is arranged in three-bedroom townhouses or four-bedroom flats, offers private bedrooms in a suite-style setting. Murray Hall and Talkington Hall offer suite-style accommodations to men and women. Most suites include four private bedrooms, a common living area, and shared bathrooms. Talkington Hall includes a limited number of two bedroom suites. The new West Campus Upperclass and Graduate Apartments are apartment style living with full kitchens with washer and dryers. Priority for assignment to Carpenter/Wells Complex and the new West Campus Apartments will be given to students of sophomore or above classification. Gordon Hall, a suite-style residence, is designated as the primary Honors College residence hall. The West Campus Upperclass Apartments will be for second-year and up students. The West Campus Graduate Apartments will be for students of at least 21 years of age.

Ethernet computer connections are provided in each room. Talkington Hall, Hulen/Clement, and Wall/Gates halls have Wifi throughout the building. The New West Campus Apartments will also have Wifi throughout the building. Other services include basic cable television service with HBO, Wifi in the limitless laundry rooms, vending machines, and in hall 24-hour professional office. An experienced and trained staff of Residence Life Coordinators and Community Advisors manages each residence hall. Each residence hall office provides assistance to residents with concerns, including maintenance requests, room and roommate assignments, and resource information.

The interests of students living on campus are promoted through the Residence Halls Association and individual hall governments. Each hall government sponsors social, cultural, educational, and recreational activities.

On-Campus Housing Requirement

In support of the Strategic Plan of Texas Tech University, the university requires students with less than 30 post high school college hours to live in the university residence halls. Institutional research suggests that students who live on campus are significantly more inclined to remain in college and achieve higher GPAs in comparison to students living off campus. Compliance with the university housing policy is a condition of enrollment, as set forth in the Student Handbook and the academic catalog and approved by the Board of Regents.

Requests for exemptions from the on-campus housing requirement must be submitted to the office of University Student Housing no later than May 1 for fall or summer enrollment and November 1 for spring enrollment. Because of unforeseen changes in a student’s circumstances, such as illness or other personal reasons, some petitions are considered after the above dates. Unless it is clearly established that illness or personal reasons were not known prior to the above dates and necessitate a student living off campus, students should not expect to be relieved of their residence hall contract. Students are encouraged to discuss such developments with the office of University Student Housing. Subject to verification and authorization by University Student Housing, students who meet one or more of the following criteria may be given permission to live off campus prior to moving in:

  1. A student is residing and continues to reside in the established primary residence of her/his parents (or legal guardian) if it is within a 60-mile radius of Texas Tech University. The parents must have established their primary Lubbock-area residency at least six months prior to the request for an exemption. In order for the exemption request to be considered, legal guardianship must have been established by a court of law at least one year prior to the request.
  2. A student presents sufficient evidence of an extreme financial hardship condition based on guidelines similar to those required for financial aid.
  3. A student is married or has dependent children living with the student.
  4. A student is 21 years of age or over on or before the first day of classes of the initial semester of enrollment.
  5. A transfer student has successfully completed 30 or more semester hours of academic credit prior to the student’s enrollment or re-enrollment. Credit earned by exam (Advanced Placement, CLEP, ACT, SAT) and hours received from concurrent high school credit are not considered.
  6. A student is awarded a university scholarship/sponsorship that is managed by a university department or college and includes the equivalence of the current academic school year’s room, dining plan, tuition, fees, and textbooks (as estimated by the Student Financial Aid Office). Upon prior approval from the managing department or college, the student may request to be exempt from living on campus. The managing department or college must provide verification in writing to University Student Housing prior to the student’s enrollment and/or re-enrollment to the university.
  7. A student is enrolled in the Graduate School or Law School.
  8. A student has served in active military service, as verified by a discharge certificate (DD214).
  9. A student presents sufficient evidence of an extreme medical condition, as documented by her/his treating physician for which on-campus accommodations cannot be made.
  10. A student presents sufficient and satisfactory evidence of extreme or unusual hardship that will be intensified by living in the residence halls.
  11. A student has completed a full academic year (fall and spring terms) of residence in the Texas Tech University residence halls prior to off campus residence eligibility.
  12. A student is enrolled in on-line classes only.
  13. A student is taking six or less hours during the academic year.
  14. A student enrolled for a TTU or TTUHSC campus other than the Lubbock campus.

In conjunction with the university’s support of academic integrity, evidence of deliberate falsification of information, data, or any materials submitted, or providing false or erroneous information in connection with an application for exemption from the on-campus housing requirement will be grounds for disciplinary action. Such action may include, but is not limited to, revocation of a previously approved exemption, restitution of up to a semester’s room and dining plan fees, or probation, as determined by Student Judicial Services and in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct of Texas Tech University.

Students sign a Residence Hall Contract for the summer session or the academic year (fall and spring semesters). Any student wishing to move from the residence halls should consult the Residence Hall Contract for the provisions applicable to cancellation of the contract. Signing a lease for off-campus housing does not relieve the student of contractual obligations that may have been assumed with the university for housing in the residence halls. It is the responsibility of the student to comply with all provisions of the Texas Tech University Housing contract. It is the responsibility of the student to update any incorrect information regarding place of residence with the Office of the Registrar.
No exemptions will be approved once the student has moved in to the residence halls.
Back to Top

Housing Reservations

Residence halls, like all other services and facilities of Texas Tech, are available to all students regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sex, or disability. Applications for admission to the university and applications for residence hall accommodations are separate transactions. To sign up for housing at Texas Tech, students must first be admitted to the university. Students are encouraged to sign up for housing as soon as they are notified of their admission status and receive and activate their eRaider account information. To complete the housing sign up process, go to and follow the instructions provided.

Registered sex offenders and students convicted of any felony are not permitted to live in university-owned housing, which includes the University Residence Halls. Information submitted is subject to verification.
Students entering in the fall semester will have the opportunity to reserve specific room assignments. This process begins after current students have completed room assignment selections for the upcoming year. Spaces not reserved by current students will be available during the selection stage for new freshmen and transfer students. For information on dates that applications are accepted, go to

Will you also make sure the web site is hyper linked also

University Student Housing strives to keep all residents healthy, informed, and safe. All residents living in the halls are required to comply with the meningitis requirement of Texas Tech University. For more information, visit

Because it is necessary to assign new residents to spaces made available when a limited number of students vacate at the end of the fall term, students entering the residence halls for the spring semester may only request online a residence hall preference instead of a specific room. Room assignments for spring applicants will be made to available space based upon the date University Student Housing receives the completed housing application.

Students should notify University Student Housing if cancellation of the application becomes necessary. Information relating to cancellation is included with the contract.

All unclaimed rooms in the residence halls will be declared vacant at 8 a.m. on the twelfth day of classes. Students who enroll in the university but fail to claim their assigned residence hall room will be subject to the cancellation provisions stated in the section “termination of contract during occupancy” of the applicable residence hall contract.Back to Top


Dining Plans

Hospitality Services provides a wide variety of fresh, healthy, and convenient dining options and plans. Dining Bucks Plans can be used in any of the all-you-care-to-eat locations, The Market food court at Stangel/Murdough, the Union Plaza food court, Student Union dining outlets, The Fresh Plate food emporium at Bledsoe/Gordon, The Commons by United Supermarkets at Talkington Hall, Einstein Bros® Bagels at the Rawl’s College of Business, Sam’s Place Mini-markets, or Sam’s Express Kiosks.

Three levels of Dining Bucks Plans offer students the option of selecting the plan that best fits their individual appetite and needs. For example, the Red and Black level is best for those students who consistently eat three meals per day. These plans also have plenty of flexibility for the student who needs late-night options and will take maximum advantage of the extensive offerings of the mini-markets. The Matador level will appeal to students who eat most meals on campus.The Matador level is the default dining plan when no dining plan is selected in the Residence Hall Contract. The Double T level is a choice for students who may miss meals for various reasons, or who work off campus.

Dining Bucks allow students the freedom of purchasing complete meals or between-meal snacks. Dining Bucks provide maximum flexibility for both cash operations and all-you-care-to-eat dining locations. Students will receive a preset amount of Dining Bucks per semester and their balance will decline as they purchase meals from any of the all-you-care-to-eat dining locations or food items from cash operations such as The Market food court at Stangel/Murdough, any of the Sam’s Place Mini-markets, or any of the food outlets in the Student Union.

Students who live off campus may purchase a Commuter Dining Plan and eat in any Hospitality Services restaurant on campus at discounted rates. This includes any all-you-care-to-eat dining location, the Sam’s Place Mini-markets, The Market at Stangel/Murdough, the Union Plaza food court, The Fresh Plate at Bledsoe/Gordon, the Student Union food outlets, The Commons by United Supermarkets food court, Einstein Bros® Bagels at the Rawl’s College of Business, and any Sam’s Express Kiosk. Students can choose from one of three Commuter Dining Plans and receive a discount when they dine. They also can add their Commuter Dining Plan to their tuition statement.
Back to Top


Room and Dining Plan Rates

Room and dining plan fees are billed on a semester basis and are included on the same billing account as tuition and fees. Payments must be made in accordance with the established payment due dates and amounts provided on the billing. If payments are not made by the established due date, a late fee will be assessed. For assistance, contact Student Financial Services at 806.742.3272. For questions about specific charges for a room and dining plans, contact University Student Housing at 806.742.2661.

Rates for room and dining plans are based on a per-person charge and established by the Texas Tech University Board of Regents. Discounted 12-month room rates are available for Carpenter/Wells and Murray.

Room and dining rates for 2013-14 can be found at the following: