Agriculture and Food Sciences
Does the science of developing food for the astronauts sound exciting? What if you could help children around the globe get the nourishment they need to be healthy? Would you like to learn how to grow crops that are good for the environment? Maybe you're more of a communicator. Could you use your creativity to direct an advertising campaign as memorable as "Got Milk?" Or your leadership experience to lobby congress in Washington, D.C.?
Why Texas Tech?
For Travis O'Quinn, an animal science major from League City, Texas, the answer was easy.
Travis appreciates the experience he has gained on the wool and meat judging teams. Hands-on undergraduate research has prepared him for graduate school.
"You're just not a number here. The professors want to know you. I've never had a class [in CASNR] where the professor didn't know who I was."
Travis O'Quinn, animal science major, League City, Texas
- The College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR annually awards $1.5 million in scholarships.
- Study abroad programs for agriculture and food sciences students include the Royal Agriculture College in Cirencester, England, and the Gardens of Europe study tour.
Classroom knowledge is applied in the field at university-owned facilities including:
- An equestrian center that allows collaboration between departments, like the Principles of Hippotherapy class in which agriculture and physical therapy students use horses for therapy for people with disabilities
- 900-acre farm, feedmill and feedlot for teaching and research
- 2,300-acre ranch just 55 miles from campus
- The Rawls Golf Course for turf management experience
"Prepare for real life, from work in a research lab to a corporate office, a classroom to a cattle ranch."
Colleges and Majors
AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES AND NATURAL RESOURCES
www.casnr.ttu.edu | 806.742.2808
Agribusiness International Agribusiness
Agricultural & Applied Economics International Agribusiness
Animal Science Business, Companion Animal Science, Animal Production, Equine Assisted Therapy, Equine Production, Equine Science, Meat Science, Meat Science Business, Science, Pre-Veterinary, Production Science
Conservation Law Enforcement
Food Science Science, Industry
Natural Resources Management Conservation Science, Fisheries Biology, Range Conservation, Ranch Management, Wildlife Biology
Plant & Soil Science Crop Science, Environmental Soil and Water Science, Horticultural and Turf Science, Local Food & Wine Production, Viticulture and Enology
www.depts.ttu.edu/hs | 806.742.3031
PRE-LAW AND PRE-MED
Pre-Law | 806.742.2189 Pre-Med | 806.742.3078
Many majors in agriculture and food sciences provide excellent preparation for professional schools or advanced study. If you choose pre-law, pre-med or another pre-professional program, advisors in the academic colleges and University Advising at Texas Tech can help you decide which degree is right for your talents and interests.