Texas Tech Advising Guidelines
The primary purposes of Texas Tech's academic advising program are to:
- Guide, empower, and encourage students from the time of their new student orientation until graduation
- Assist students in the development of meaningful educational plans, which are compatible with their life goals
- Help students accept responsibility for their own education
- Aid students' professional development by providing guidance in curricular and professional choices
An academic advisor's responsibilities include:
- Helping the student to design a program of study, interpret catalogs and degree-requirement audits, and choose among academic alternatives.
- Monitoring academic progress and recommending appropriate resources to answer questions or solve problems related to academic, career, and personal matters.
- Assist with educational planning that leads to timely matriculation and graduation
- Advocate for students in the university system
- Serve as resource brokers for the university community
- Help students thrive in a large university setting
- Student growth and development
- Accuracy and availability to students
- Assessment, referral and confidentiality