Section 2: Getting to Know the Student
Sample Questions for the First MeetingThe first meeting with a student should focus on getting to know the student and discussing your role as an advisor. Some students will talk freely and readily provide the information when asked to tell a little about themselves. If the student says very little, you can use some of the following questions to obtain information and build rapport with the student.
- What high school did you graduate from?
- Can you tell me how well you think your high school prepared you for the challenges of Texas Tech?
- Where do you live at Texas Tech?
- What is you local address, phone number, and TTU email address to put in my file?
- Have you taken any courses within your major yet? If so, how are they going?
- What led you to choose this major?
- Is there a specific aspect of your major that particularly interests you?
- Are you involved in any kind of extra-curricular activities, such as campus groups or part-time jobs?
- Have you received any scholarships? If so, what is required for you to keep those scholarships?
- What are your goals after graduation from Texas Tech (employment, graduate school, etc.)?
- What do you expect from me as your advisor?