Setting up an Appointment with an Advisor on Campus
Texas Tech is now using a software called TimeTrade to help students schedule appointments with advisors online. The system is incredibly useful and the resources it offers to students is almost endless. No matter what time of day you have the idea to schedule an appointment, this system will show you each advisor's availability and allow to schedule the appointment immediately. However, knowing where to find the right advisor in the system can be difficult at first so this website will try to briefly explain some of the features of TimeTrade.
Campus Resource Groups and Appointment Types
Major-Level Academic Advising
Some colleges renamed this resource group to indicate that it is only for students in a particular college. Most students will use this Campus Resource Group the most since it will direct them to appointments with advisors assigned to students in specific majors. For example, if an Accounting major wanted to meet with her assigned advisor in the College of Business, this would be the appropriate Campus Resource Group to choose. Academic Planning and Course Approval is likely the most common appointment type as it entails a 1-1 appointment with an academic advisor assigned to students in a particular major. However, most colleges also have appointment types in this resource group to talk about minors, to get general help, and to file graduation plans.
College-Level Academic Advising
Some colleges have renamed this resource group to indicate that it is for students to use who are currently outside of the college. However, most of the appointment types in this resource group are geared toward things like declaring a major, reviewing a degree plan with an auditor and preparing for graduation. These appointments will not always be with assigned academic advisors but might also be will staff in the dean's office who help with college-level processes.
University-Wide Student Support and Advising Services
This Campus Resource Group is pretty uniform across all colleges. Three main appointment types exist in this group:
- I need some coaching on time management: This appointment type is linked directly to Stacy Elliot in the Learning Center. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor who is trained to help students maximize their academic success in areas like time management, study skills and note taking.
- I need to meet with an advisor about Texas Success Initiative (TSI): This appointment type is linked to the advisors in the TSI office. They ensure that students remain in compliance with the TSI requirements set forward by the state of Texas.
- I want to Explore other Majors: This appointment type is linked to the advisors in University Advising. These advisors are trained to help students explore majors of possible interest at TTU. They also help run the Discovery Major Map workshops, which serve as a great starting point for any student who want to explore majors.
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Schedule an Appointment
Below is a YouTube video that also helps to explain how to schedule an appointment using the new TimeTrade interface.
To use TimeTrade to schedule an appointment, you can also follow the instructions below:
- Go to: http://ttu.timetrade.com
- Log in with your eRaider and password.
- Select the "College" (in most cases this will be the college you are currently in) where the advisor you are trying to make an appointment with is housed. Choose your current major or the major for which you wish to be advised as the major on the first screen. Click NEXT.
- Select the appropriate “Campus Resource Group;” and then choose the “Appointment Type." Select the “Duration” that is most appropriate.
- Below those options, you can either choose your current assigned advisor (If you know who they are) or choose "Any Academic Advisor" as the “Faculty / Staff Member” with whom you make the appointment. TimeTrade will automatically select the appropriate advisor for you if you don't know who your advisor is. Click NEXT.
- Pick one of the days colored white from the calendar.
- Looking at the times available, choose one that fits in your schedule. Make sure you are aware of the time zone listed for the appointment. (i.e. 9:00AM CST). Click SELECT.
- Your appointment details will show up. Check over them and make sure you click “Make Appointment” and then "Finish" on the next page or it will not be made.
- You will see an appointment confirmation page and be sent an email confirmation. The email has an attachment to connect the appointment to your calendar if you would like. Your advisor will also receive an email confirmation.
Information for Staff and Faculty
For other documentation and tutorials, visit the TTU Sharepoint Site.