CASNR Career Opportunity
Position: Associate Dean for Research, College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
Location: College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources; Texas Tech University; Lubbock, TX
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Effective Date: Submission of applications preferred by September 28, 2018. Review of applicants will begin October 1, 2018.
TTU CASNR Website: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/agriculturalsciences/
Duties & Responsibilities
The College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) at Texas Tech University is seeking an accomplished, highly motivated scientist to lead the research efforts of the College as Associate Dean for Research. Experience in a field of agriculture, natural resources or closely related area is desired. The Associate Dean for Research is responsible to the Dean of CASNR and works as part of the CASNR leadership team in the administration of the College, with a special focus on facilitating and growing research activity. This is a 100% administrative appointment. Identifying funding opportunities, facilitating proposal development, building faculty teams within and beyond the College, planning, resource management, program evaluation, program coordination, budget development and enhancement, prioritizing, and public interaction are important components of the position. These responsibilities include coordinating and facilitating research activities and faculty in seven (7) academic departments across approximately 130 faculty members.
The Associate Dean for Research will work closely with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs to coordinate and integrate CASNR's teaching, research and engagement activities. The Associate Dean for Research will work closely with the Texas Tech Office of Research Services in the University's Office of the VP for Research to develop new research opportunities and programs to serve the faculty.
- Providing leadership and working cooperatively with TTU CASNR and other TTU College administrators, department chairs, faculty, and external partners to develop, enhance, evaluate, and administer statewide, regional and national research programs that address constituent and stakeholder needs. Serve as an advocate for the faculty on pre and post award management.
- Special emphasis will be placed on identifying and analyzing new and emerging areas of research at the federal, state, and industry levels and providing appropriate support for faculty programs. These activities should foster innovative and interdisciplinary research activities that meet programmatic goals and nurture productive internal and external collaborations to strengthen program effectiveness. The development of multi-disciplinary teams, expansion of existing working relationships, and reporting on the impacts engendered by these activities are also key components of this position. Additionally, the Associate Dean for Research coordinates and promotes relationships as needed with commodity groups, agencies and professional groups and co-manages commodity support programs on behalf of the College.
- Developing, coordinating, facilitating and managing mechanisms to enhance extramural funding activities which improve faculty opportunities while fulfilling the organization's strategic goals.
- Maintaining an active role in seeking support and resources for College programs/facilities and work with College advancement personnel on gift and endowment opportunities such as scholarships, graduate fellowships, and endowed professorships to support research efforts.
- Building and maintaining liaisons with external organizations and external partners including other universities, state and federal agencies, private industry, commodity groups, and research stakeholders to provide a foundation for improved cooperation and continued program growth.
- Overseeing staff in the compilation and reporting of internal management information and the dissemination of accomplishment-based information for external and internal audiences and programmatic impact assessment.
- Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to extra-curricular activities. Service to the department, college, and university is expected.
Applicants should have an earned doctorate in an agricultural sciences or natural resource discipline, or a closely affiliated field, with a record of scholarship that will allow them to qualify for tenure at the rank of Professor. Previous experience or other evidence of administrative ability to direct the research operations of the College is required, as is an ability to provide a clear vision and to plan strategically to achieve the College's research goals and objectives. Demonstrated success in managing and receiving extramural funding; success in grant and project team building and success in developing and enhancing relationships with a variety of internal and external constituents; and administrative and/or team leadership experience are essential. Effective leadership, personnel management skills and a facilitative personality are essential. The successful applicant should have a track record of making timely decisions and responding promptly to deadlines. Highly refined verbal and written communication skills and a commitment to sharing research accomplishments of the College and its research vision for the future with funding agencies, industry groups, alumni and other CASNR stakeholders are indispensable. Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
Application & Nomination
Both nominations and direct applications are welcome. Evaluation of applications will begin October 1, 2018 and continue until a suitable candidate is identified. Applicants should provide a letter of interest detailing experience, knowledge of and commitment to equal employment opportunity, diversity and inclusion, and how the minimum and preferred qualifications are met, along with a curriculum vita, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of four professional references who may be asked to provide letters of recommendation. Nominations are encouraged and should include the name and complete contact information of the nominee.
Please note that all application materials must be submitted on line through the Texas Tech University application site (search for Requisition Number 14926BR). Questions should be addressed to Dr. Cindy Akers, Search Committee Chair, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409; telephone (806) 742-2808; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.
College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
AddressP.O. Box 42123, Lubbock, Texas 79409-2123, Dean’s Office Location: Goddard Building, Room 108