- Strategic Plan
- Advisory Board
- Research Projects
- Cotton Experts
- Related Links
(806) 742-5333 ext.224
An Evaluation of High-Value Marketing Pools for the Texas Cotton Industry
Principal Investigator: Conrad P. Lyford
Co-Principal Investigator: M. Dean Ethridge
Evaluate the opportunity for the West Texas cotton industry to develop high-value marketing pools.
- Evaluate the production shares and market positioning of high-value West Texas cotton varieties, with implications for the quantities that can be reliably produced in the years ahead.
- Investigate current examples of high-value marketing efforts and evaluate the success in capturing higher returns for cotton producers participating in them.
- Develop requirements and procedures for developing high-value marketing pools based in West Texas.
An Examination of Factors Considered by the Texas Print Media on the Use of a Media Resource Tool in Developing News Stories
Principal Investigators: Cindy Akers
Co-Principal Investigators: Chad Davis, David Doerfert
Graduate Assistant: Jessica Bieber
The primary objective of this two-year study was to evaluate the effectiveness that a media-friendly CD-ROM (CottonLink) distributed to print-based media in Texas had upon quantity and quality of news coverage.
- Describe print-based coverage of the cotton industry in terms of quantity and quality prior to the distribution of CottonLink.
- Determine if significant differences existed in the quantity and quality of print-based coverage after the distribution of CottonLink.
- Ascertain if quantity and quality differences existed in coverage based upon industry segments (production, ginning, processing, consumer, fashion, etc.).
- Identify sources of extraneous error that may have influenced coverage between baseline and post-CottonLink distribution.
Analysis of Cotton Production for the Texas High Plains
Principal Investigator: Phillip N. Johnson
- Develop cotton cost of production and profitability information for the High Plains region of Texas.
- Generate breakeven analyses such as breakeven price and unit cost of production for the High Plains region of Texas.