Texas Tech Women’s Rodeo Team reigns at Odessa College Rodeo
The Texas Tech Women’s Rodeo Team continued their winning season this weekend at the Odessa College Rodeo March 22-24. The team still is currently leading all 16 schools in the southwest region of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association.
Bailey Guthrie, a senior exercise and sports sciences major from Rigby, Id., secured the overall championship in goat tying, as well as the women’s all-around championship. She won the titles by placing third in go round one of breakaway calf roping, second in go round one of goat tying and first in the goat tying finals.
Tech also had six of the top 10 barrel racers in the finals. They included:
• 1st place – Taylor Langdon, junior radiology major, Aubrey
• 2nd place – Hayley Nelson, senior English major, Channing
• 3rd place – Jessica Frost, junior animal and food sciences major, Santa Barbara, Calif.
• 5th place – Kirsten Stubbs, junior agricultural and applied economics major, Eldorado
• 7th place – Carley Richardson, junior animal science major, Pampa
• 8th place – Cecily Crouch, junior animal science major, Midland
In the men’s events, Texas Tech’s Josh Carden, a junior agricultural and applied economics major from Elberta, Ala., placed fifth overall in bull riding .
Written by Kelsey Fletcher
CONTACT: Chris Guay, rodeo coach, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805 ext. 256 or www.ttu.edu/rodeo
0326NM12 / PHOTO: Richard Kinsey