AAEC’s Knight tapped for new investigator financial disclosure committee
A noted professor of agricultural and applied economics has been asked to join a new faculty-led Investigator Financial Disclosure Committee at Texas Tech. Thomas Knight, a Horn Professor and Emabeth Thompson Professor of Risk Management with the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, joins eight other campus experts who’ll provide guidance about policy to manage Texas Tech institutional conflicts of interest and develop and monitor management plans when a potential conflict is identified.
“It’s vital that university researchers work with private and public external sponsors to solve important issues facing our society,” said Alice Young, associate vice president for research (research integrity). “The IFDC will provide key guidance to our faculty on how to identify and manage potential conflicts.”
Among its responsibilities, the committee will provide administrative and faculty advice concerning:
• Texas Tech financial conflict of interest policies and compliance with the 2012 revision of the National Institutes of Health FCOI policies; structure and oversight of management plans
• Changes needed in Texas Tech policy to comply with sponsor mandates, and evolving best practices for management of conflicts of interest and commitment.
Prior to joining the Texas Tech faculty in 2002, Knight served as an assistant, associate and full professor at Texas A&M University. Knight received a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in agricultural economics from Oklahoma State University. His doctorate in agricultural economics is from the University of Missouri-Columbia. Awards for Knight while at Texas Tech include President’s Academic Achievement Award (2011); CASNR Graduate Advising Award (2010); CASNR Research Award (2009); and Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa Faculty Recognition Award (2009).
In addition to Knight and Young (ex officio), the other committee members include:
• Amy Baugh (ex officio), administrator for financial disclosure, Office of the Vice President for Research
• Mukaddes Darwish, associate professor, Department of Construction Engineering and Engineering Technology
• Russell James III, associate professor, Division of Personal Financial Planning
• Mellinee Lesley, associate professor, Department of Curriculum & Instruction
• Alyson Outenreath, assistant professor, School of Law
• Ralph Viator, committee chair, Clark and Lois Webster Professor, Area of Accounting
• John Zak, associate dean for research, Department of Biological Sciences and College of Arts and Sciences
Written by Norman Martin
CONTACT: Michael Galyean, Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or email@example.com
0606NM12 / Reporting by Sally Logue Post