Tech Meat Judging Team Sets Record Score at Cargill Meat Solutions Contest
The Texas Tech Meat Judging Team aced the 30th annual Cargill Meat Solutions’ Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest on Sunday (Nov. 4) in Plainview, posting an all-time meat judging record score of 4,257 points and shattering the previous record score of 4,245 points set by Texas A&M a decade ago.
Texas Tech team dominated the beef grading, beef judging, overall beef, pork judging, specification and reasons divisions. “The team was extremely consistent,” said Mark Miller, Tech’s coach and the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Distinguished Chair in Meat Science.
Texas A&M, Michigan State, Oklahoma State and Angelo State finished second through fifth in the overall team rankings, respectively. Fourteen universities from across the nation competed in the event.
Individual placements for Texas Tech included:
- Bo Hutto, a junior from Hondo, high individual
- Dan Crownover, a junior from Italy, second
- Colton Christian, a junior from Farwell, third
- Heather Rode, a junior from Doss, eighth
In the alternate division, Texas Tech had six of the top-10 individuals overall. They were:
- Valerie Manning, a junior from Mabank, high individual
- Steven Ebeling, a junior from Plainview, second
- Weston Burson, a junior from Florence, fifth
- Zac Miller, a junior from Seymour, seventh
- Garydale Grubelnik, a junior from Raton, N.M., eighth
- Dewayne Phillips, a junior from Stephenville, tenth
Additional team members include Trevor King, a junior from Winnsboro and Tanner Adams, junior from Sanger. The team is coached by graduate students Collin Corbin and Henry Ruiz, along with Miller.
“We must maintain our focus and strive for excellence as we prepare for the international competition,” Miller said. The team will compete at the international competition on Nov. 18 in Dakota City, Neb., for the national championship title.
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Mark Miller, Horn Professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805, ext. 231 or firstname.lastname@example.org