AFS Spring Awards Banquet highlights academic, extracurricular performance
Outstanding academic and extracurricular performance by members of Tech’s Department of Animal and Food Sciences was in the spotlight on Saturday (Apr. 12) at the McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center. Hosted by the Block and Bridle Club and the Department of Animal and Food Sciences, more than 300 students, faculty, staff, parents and supporters attended the annual event.
Among the evening’s highlights was recognition of the judging and competitive teams. The 2013 National Championship Meat Judging Team was awarded trophy belt buckles and the 2013 National Champion Meat Science Quiz Bowl Team was awarded Texas Tech watches. Individual awards to members of the teams were also given.
The Meat Judging Team awarded:
- Doug Hardison Memorial Outstanding Judge Award – Christy Woerner
- Markus F. Miller Spirit and Motivation Award – Colton Campbell
- 1996 Team Scholarship Award – Austin Langemeier
- Katie Robinson Perseverance Awards – Kassandra Ognoskie
The Livestock Judging Team awarded the Jerry Hawkins Memorial Livestock Judging Award to Dan Crownover. The Bruce Lawrence Family received the first annual “Sixth Man Award” from the livestock judging team members in appreciation for the support their family has shown the program. The Meat Animal Evaluation, Equestrian, Horse Judging, and Wool Judging Teams were also recognized.
The evening also recognized outstanding individual performances. Among those honored were:
- Outstanding AFS PhD Student – Jerilyn Hergenreder
- Outstanding AFS MS Student – Alex Thompson
- Bob Albin Graduate Research Awards – PhD: Cara Wessels (1st), Alex Brandt (2nd), Jerilyn Hergenreder (3rd). M.S.: Clay Burson (1st), Nathan Pond (2nd), Cody Sultenfuss (3rd). Undergraduate: Erin Castelli (1st), Amanda Gray (2nd), Pedro Ricardo Ballavenuto Campanili (3rd)
- San Antonio Livestock Exposition Graduate Student Award – Loni Woolley
- Outstanding Meat Science Graduate Student – Rand Broadway
- Outstanding Animal Science & Department Senior – Taylor Powell
- Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement Awards – Tanner Adams, Caetlyn Avant, Cara Finstad, Amy Gulick, Bo Hutto, Emily Jackson, Samantha Martinez, Stacie McKinney, Megan Nazworth, Taylor Powell, Jordan Richburg, Heather Rode and Jodi Rowe
- Senior Leadership Awards – Tanner Adams, Steven Ebeling, Bo Hutto, Emily Jackson, Valerie Manning, Megan Nazworth, Samantha Piercy, Taylor Powell and Heather Rode
The department also honored seven international interns and their mentors who are part of the SOWER (Sustaining Our World through Education and Research) Program established by the International Center for Food Industry Excellence. The program is designed to support international students and faculty who have a passion for meeting global agriculture needs.
- 2013 Interns – Susana Andrade, Coranyi Banegas, Andrea Chica, Alvaro Gustavo Garcia, Ximena Paz, Olga Gabriela Perez, Dany Rivas, Fernando Vargas and Cindy Ventura.
Separately, the Block and Bridle Club recognized winners in the Little International Showmanship contest in each respective division:
- Cattle – Jacob McKillip (Novice) and Lauren Grainger (Expert)
- Swine – Bryce Winfrey (Novice) and Austin Langemeier (Expert)
- Goat – Brittany Blum (Novice) and Audrey Turner (Expert)
- Sheep – Taylor Frank (Novice) and Gabe Jennings (Expert)
- Overall Showman, Taylor Frank, awarded a trophy belt buckle
Meantime, Outstanding Service Awards were presented to members Cassie Godwin, Madison Langemeier, Ty Tubbs and Sydney Witte. Valerie Manning received the prestigious Workhorse Award.
Reporting by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Michael Orth, chairman, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805 or firstname.lastname@example.org