AFS Quiz Bowl Team takes national championship
Texas Tech University’s Meat Science Academic Quiz Bowl Team trounced its opponents 65-0 in the final round to become national champions at the 62nd Reciprocal Meat Conference in Rogers, Ark. The Red Raiders dominated 23 other teams that represented the top meat science programs at universities from across the United States.
Penn State’s team finished second in the competition. Texas Tech adds to national titles won at the competition in 2003, 2005 and 2007.
“These students have studied and worked hard for months and dedicated themselves to excellence,” said Mark Miller, Texas Tech’s San Antonio Livestock Exposition Distinguished Chair in Meat Science. “This is a dominating group of students with a humble attitude.”
The 2009 team members included:
• Matt Bruton, a junior from Throckmorton
• Cassie Chancey, a May graduate from Satanta, Kan.
• Collin Corbin, a junior from Webster
• Tyler Cowie, a senior from Magnolia
• Paden Daniels, a senior from Athol, Kan.
• Ben Estes, a May graduate from Hollis, Okla.
• Kelly Hutton, a junior from Castle Rock, Colo.
• Meagan Igo, a junior from Plainview
• Kaleigh Janota, a junior from Gonzales
• Abby Long, a junior from Boerne
• Shanna Ward, a senior from Coffeyville, Kan.
The team was coached by meat science graduate student Travis O’Quinn.
Three Texas Tech students also were honored at the opening session by the American Meat Science Association (AMSA) for their outstanding academic achievement and leadership in the meat science industry. Ward and Daniels both received one of ten AMSA travel awards to waive their cost of attending the conference. Estes received one of ten AMSA academic achievement awards.
RMC is an annual conference sponsored by AMSA which brings together meat scientists and students from academia, industry and government. Texas Tech will host the 63rd RMC June 19-23, 2010 in Lubbock.
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Markus Miller, SALE chair – Meat Science, Food Processing & Preservation, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805 ext. 231 or firstname.lastname@example.org