Meat judging team takes first at Fort Worth Southwestern Livestock Show
Texas Tech’s meat judging team placed first at the Southwestern Livestock Show’s Meat Judging Contest in Fort Worth, officials reported today (Feb. 4.) Hosted by the American Meat Science Association in conjunction with the Fort Worth stock show, the contest was the first win of new year for Tech’s 16-member team.
Texas Tech dominated the competition, taking the top spot by a 47-point margin and posting a score of 4,133 points. The team finished first in the beef judging and overall beef.
Other top finishers were South Dakota State University, Oklahoma State University, University of Wyoming, and Kansas State University. Twelve universities competed at the contest, officials said.
“This was an exciting win for the 2011 team,” said Mark Miller, professor and San Antonio Livestock Show Distinguished Chair in Meat Science. “The group worked hard to earn their first win.”
Three of the top-ten individuals and nine of the top-ten alternates were from Texas Tech. Dakota Williams, a sophomore from Glenrose, was high individual overall. He was followed closely by teammate Travis Begley, a sophomore from Plainview, who finished second overall. Zach Smith, a sophomore from Sweetwater, was seventh overall. The high individual award in the alternate division was won by Drew Cashman, a sophomore from New Windsor, MD.
Other team members include:
• Blaine Corliss, a junior from Estancia, NM
• Cody Helms, a junior from Cleburne
• Faith Jurek, a sophomore from Goldthwaite
• Mandy-Jo Laurent, a sophomore from Nacogdoches
• Jerra McMath, a junior from Estancia, NM
• Andrea Nordman, a junior from Florence
• Craig Russell, a junior from Visalia, Calif.
• Natalee Smith, a junior from Albemarle, NC
• Cody Sultenfuss, a sophomore from Little-River Academy
• Tyler Travis, a sophomore from Pleasant Valley
• Kaitlyn True, a sophomore from Plainview
• Amanda White, junior from Garden City, Kan.
The team is coached by Texas Tech graduate student Shanna Ward and Miller. Texas Tech will compete at the Houston Livestock Show on March 5.
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Mark Miller, professor and San Antonio Livestock Show Distinguished Chair in Meat Science, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805, ext. 231 or email@example.com