Meat judging team wins Cargill Meat Solutions Contest; Gears up for nationals
Twenty-four points separated Texas Tech's meat judging team from their nearest competitor at the Cargill Meat Solutions' Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest on Sunday (Nov. 3) in Friona. They posted a score of 4,102 points and won five divisions.
"The team was extremely consistent in specifications and beef grading," said Mark Miller, the meat judging team coach and Tech's San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Distinguished Chair in Meat Science. "We must maintain our focus and intensity as we prepare for the national competition."
Texas A&M University, Colorado State University, the University of Wyoming and Oklahoma State University finished second through fifth in the overall team rankings, respectively. Fifteen universities from across the United States were at the competition.
In terms of individual achievement, the high individual overall was Christy Woerner, a junior from Fredericksburg, who earned a score of 1,042 points. Kassandra Ognoskie, a junior from Orting, Wash., was fourth high individual. She was followed closely by teammate Austin Langemeier, a junior from Marion.Other team members include:
- Brittany Blum, a junior from Howe
- Colton Campbell, a junior from Artesia, NM
- Kylan Carson, a junior from Olton
- Taelar Childers, a junior from Crandall
- Colton Coker, a junior from Roby
- Aaron Faulkner, a senior from Lenapah, Okla.
- Trey Garza, a junior from Edinburg
- Nick Hardcastle, a junior from Wheeler
- Greg Howard, a senior from Bremen, Kan.
- Mallory Jones, a junior from Anson
- Kirby Kennedy, a junior from Lampasas
- Kristen Knight, a junior from Shallowater
- Clayton Krause, a senior from New Braunfels
- Jacob Mikel, a senior from Vichy, Mo.
- Tyler Neuman, a junior from Hondo
- Bailey Joe Pennington, a junior from Sonora
- Luke Sellers, a senior from Denver City
- William Wunderlich, a junior from Fredericksburg
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Mark Miller, Professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805, ext. 231 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It