Tech Livestock Judging Team finishes season as reserve national champions
Texas Tech's Livestock Judging Team was edged out by 18 points at the North American International Livestock Exposition on Tuesday (Nov. 19.) in Louisville, and finished their season as Reserve National Champions. The national contest tested the contestants' knowledge of cattle, sheep and swine, as well as their oral reasons.
Since 1900, teams have gathered from across the nation to compete for the title. This year's contest, which had 31 universities represented, was won by Texas A&M. Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Iowa State finished third, fourth and fifth overall. Texas Tech was second in cattle, third in sheep and swine, and fourth in oral reasons.
Three Red Raiders finished in the top-ten overall. Lane Halfmann, a senior from Garden City, was high individual overall. Emily Jackson, a senior from Waco, finished ninth and Nick Rieke, a senior from LaOtto, Ind., was tenth.Additional team members included:
- Caetlyn Avant, a senior from Copeville
- Dan Crownover, a senior from Italy
- Blake Davis, a senior from Paragould, Ark.
- Bo Hutto, a senior from Hondo
- Valerie Manning, a senior from Mabank
- Tanner Martin, a senior from Roscoe
- Logan Mason, a senior from Lazbuddie
- Kaitlyn Meyer, a senior from Temple
- Kevin Murnin, a senior from Miles City, Mont.
- Stephanie Neuhaus, a senior from Dora, N.M.
- Jordan Richburg, a senior from Deltona, Fla.
- Matt Savage, a senior from Seminole
- Isaac Wenzel, a senior from Hamilton
Two Texas Tech team members were selected to the All-American Team, as well. Crownover and Jackson both received this prestigious honor based upon their scholastic achievements, community service and contest performance. "Livestock judging has been an incredibly rewarding experience for us all." Jackson said.
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Ryan Rathmann, John W. and Doris Jones Endowed Professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at 742-2805 ext. 233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It