- Where: Costa Rica
- When: May 21-June 1, 2012
- Apply: www.studyabroad.ttu.edu/
- Deadline: February 15, 2012
- Requirements: 2.5 GPA, good academic standing, and sophomore, junior or senior classification. The program is open to all majors
Dr. Jonathan Ulmer
Assistant Professor of Agricultural Education
College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
214 Agricultural Education and Communications Bldg.
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409
Texas Tech University’s College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources is offering a comprehensive program for Summer 2012 in sustainable agriculture and development in the tropics, hosted at EARTH University in Costa Rica. The focus of the program is sustainability, agriculture and management of natural resources. Courses are taught in English. In addition to academic studies, students will have free time to go white water rafting at Aventuras del Sarapiqui and to visit Arenal Volcano National Park and Hot Springs.
Program topics for the Summer 2012 include:
- Animal Husbandry
- Assessing Sustainability in Rural Areas
- Sustainability and Monoculture
- Management of Natural Resources and Tourism
- Coffee in Costa Rica
- Small Production and Organic Agriculture
- Ecotourism and Social Impact
- Dry Forest Ecology
- Local Schools Education
Our study abroad program in Costa Rica provides an international experience by featuring learning opportunities focused on tropical agriculture, conservation, sustainable development and Costa Rican culture.
- San Jose is the capital of Costa Rica and sits at an altitude of 3,772 ft. San Jose and its suburbs have approximately one million people. The average temperature in the early summer ranges from 63 to 78 degrees with cooling showers in the afternoon.
- EARTH University, located in Guácimo, Limón, Costa Rica is a private, international, non-profit university dedicated to education in the agricultural sciences and natural resources in order to contribute to sustainable development in the tropics by seeking a balance between agricultural production and environmental preservation. The main campus at Guácimo is located on the humid Eastern side of the country. While at EARTH, students will have the opportunity to hike and zip line in rain forests, go white water rafting and experience many other adventures. A new campus at La Flor is located in the state of Liberia on the Pacific side of the country so students will experience not only the humid tropics but also the “dryer” climate of the West.
- Arenal Volcano is the only active volcano in Costa Rica. It woke up after 400 years with the big 1968 eruption. It produces huge ash columns, explosions and glowing red lava, and is considered one of the 10 most active volcanoes in the world. Arenal is located in the mountainous north central part of Costa Rica. This country is about beaches, rainforest and the spectacular Arenal.
- While at EARTH, students will stay on the campus in the University’s guest lodging. Other accommodations will be in various hotels and lodges throughout the country.