General Purpose Classrooms


The General Purpose Classrooms are designed to serve the entire TTU campus community by providing a wide range of equipment, technology and resources. These classrooms are centrally scheduled and maintained by the Office of the Provost under the direction of Academic Support & Facilities Resources (ASFR). This project would not be possible without vital partnerships with IT Help Central Classroom Technology Services. Funding for the project has been provided by the Office of the President and the Office of the Provost.

This initiative began in 2010 and has grown due to its popularity and continued positive feedback from faculty, students and staff. There are a total of 42 GPCs in 6 buildings, spanning the Texas Tech campus: Agricultural Sciences, Holden Hall, Human Sciences, Mathematics, Media and Communication, and Science. As the General Purpose Classroom initiative continues, we look forward to providing additional standardized teaching and learning environments.

Contact Information

General Purpose Classroom support is available from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM, seven days a week.

Frequently Asked Questions


I am teaching in one of the GPCs this term. How do I gain access to the room?

The GPCs in Media & Communication, as well as HOLDEN 104 and AGRI 214, are unlocked weekdays while classes are in session from 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM. For all other GPCs, instructors will use their Tech ID for access. Instructors will need to obtain a proximity card from the University ID Office if they do not already have one (see below information about obtaining/replacing your ID).

The authorization for a proximity card must be provided by ASFR. Before each term, ASFR provides the University ID Office with a list of all Instructor of Records scheduled to teach in a GPC which serves as the authorization.  If you have a teaching assistant or other faculty/staff member that will be assisting with class sessions, please email their name, R#, and email address to ASFR.

If you have a Tech ID:

  • GPCs have security locks that utilize a proximity card, which is incorporated into your Tech ID. If you have a proximity ID, there will be a blue HID logo on the back of your card.
  • If you do not already have a proximity ID card, please take your current ID card to the University ID Office in the Student Union Building (room 103) and request they exchange it for a proximity ID
  • It is free of charge to exchange your ID for a proximity ID
  • You must of a proximity ID to obtain access to these classrooms
  • Proper picture ID is required to obtain/exchange a Tech ID

If you DO NOT have a Tech ID

  • Please go to the ID Office in the Student Union Building (room 103).  Your first ID card is free of charge.
  • If you have lost your ID, you can receive a replacement ID card for a fee
  • Proper picture ID is required to obtain/replace a Tech ID
  • Since you do not have an ID, please let the ID office know you need a proximity ID card.  This will save you a future trip to the ID office.

Questions regarding University ID Cards:

  • University ID Office
  • Student Union Building
  • Room 103
  • 806-742-1457
  • Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8am-5pm

I am team teaching with another instructor or have a teaching assistant who will need access to a GPC. How do they gain access to the room?

If you have a teaching assistant or other faculty/staff member that will be assisting with class sessions, please email their name, R#, and email address to the ASFR Facilities Resources division. ASFR will provide authorization for them to obtain a proximity ID card. Please refer to the FAQ above for additional information about obtaining a proximity ID card.

I have a guest lecturer for one of my classes. How do they gain access to a GPC?

For guest lecturers, please email their name and email address to the ASFR Facilities Resources division confirming they are a guest lecturer for your class. They will need to come to the ASFR office in Administration Suite 005 to check out a temporary access card.

I teach on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Media and Communication building and need access to the elevator for these floors. Who do I contact for access?

Please send an email to the ASFR Facilities Resources division and request access to the elevator. A form must be completed and signed by an authorized signer from ASFR. Once completed, if you do not have an ID card, you will take the form to the University ID Office and request a proximity card. If you have a proximity ID, the form will be sent directly to TTU Police Department for your proximity IT card to be activated for the elevator. Please submit your request at least a week in advance, when possible, to allow time for processing.

I have scheduled an event in one of the GPCs. How do I gain access to the room?

This information is included in the event confirmation received by the event requestor. Temporary access cards are issued by ASFR, therefore you will need to visit the ASFR office in order to check out one of these cards. Access cards can be checked out the day of your event (or the day prior for weekend events), and need to be returned the next business day. ASFR is currently located in the East basement of the Administration building in Suite 5. Please be sure to bring proper identification (Tech ID, state driver’s license or identification card) when checking out an access card.


Who supplies the dry erase markers for the GPCs?

Dry erase markers are supplied by ASFR and are checked during weekly room audits. Markers that are no longer working should be left in the room.  This will allow ASFR to track usage for inventory purposes.  They will dispose of them after audits are complete.

Who do I contact for physical issues in the GPCs?

You can contact the ASFR Facilities Resources division at 834-5271 and we will be happy to discuss any concerns and/or submit work orders.

What do I do if a bulb burns out in the ceiling-mounted projector?

Please contact Classroom Technology Services (CTS) at (806) 742-5381 immediately after detection messages are displayed so arrangements can be made to have the bulb replaced. Please keep in mind that it could take several days to replace if a bulb is not readily available and has to be ordered

Project Management

How were the rooms chosen to be renovated into GPCs?

A space analysis was completed for all Classrooms (110) and Meeting Rooms (680) on campus. This analysis included condition scores, utilization scores, location, and use by the home department. Upon review, rooms were chosen which were in poor condition but could potentially be utilized by multiple departments on campus. If you would like to see a room become a GPC, please submit information about the classroom and the department currently managing the classroom to ASFR for analysis.


Will there be more classrooms renovated into GPCs in the future?

The GPC team is always looking for ways to improve the learning facilities on campus. The mission of the project is to provide the TTU community with up-to-date, standardized learning spaces to evoke positive learning outcomes.


Room Information

Which rooms on campus are General Purpose Classrooms (GPCs)?

Agricultural Sciences - 214

Holden Hall

  • Basement - 028, 033, 038
  • First Floor - 104, 106, 109, 111, 127, 128, 130, 152, 154, 155
  • Second Floor - 225, 255

Human Sciences - 169 (Technology only; room has not been renovated), 273

Mathematics - 012, 108

Science - 112

Media and Communication

  • Basement - 053, 055, 057, 067, 075, 080, 082, 083, 084
  • First Floor - 153, 155, 157, 166, 168
  • Second Floor - 253, 255, 257, 266, 268, 270, 281
  • Third Floor - 353, 359

What are the room capacities and features of each GPC?

This information can be found under the resources tab in Ad Astra. Anyone with a valid eRaider username/password has guest access (at a minimum) to the system. You can filter by "Campus: TLB" and "Region: GPC" to see a list of all the rooms. If you hover the information card icon next to the room number, you can see a quick view of a picture and features. If you click on the room number, you will be redirected to full details about the room. For detailed instructions, please refer to the "How Do I look Up Room Capacity & Details" FAQ on Academic Support website.

Room Scheduling

How do I schedule a GPC for my class?

Please contact your department’s collaborative academic scheduler or scheduling point of contact and they can request the space for your section. In order for sections to be scheduled in GPCs, they must meet the following criteria:

How do I reserve a GPC for an event?

Go to, click on the Events tab and then click on Event Request to begin using the event request forms. Anyone with a valid eRaider login and password can gain access to this system. Detailed instructions on how to request an event can be found under Frequently Asked Questions at /asfr/escheduling/. Detailed instructions on how to navigate through the system can be found at /asfr/acadsupp/. If you need additional assistance, please call ASFR at 742-3658.

ADA Accessibility

Can the ADA accessible table be used as an instructor table?

No. This table must be readily available for disabled students to use and should not be used as an instructor table.

Who do I contact if there is an accommodation needed for an instructor or student with a disability?

Please contact the ASFR Facilities Resources division at 834-5271 and we will be happy to assist the instructor or student.

I am hearing impaired and attending class or an event in a GPC. Are there assistive listening devices available?

Yes, assistive listening devices are available in the majority of GPCs. The following rooms are equipped with this technology - Agricultural Sciences 214, Holden Hall 033, 038, 104, 155, 225 and all GPCs in Media and Communication.


How do I use technology in the GPCs?

There is a copy of the instructions in the lectern drawer of each classroom. However, you can print your own copy by clicking on the appropriate link below.

If you have any questions or concerns about using the technology, please contact Classroom Technology Services (CTS) at (806) 742-5381 or at


Are there technology trainings available for GPCs?

Yes! Trainings are scheduled before the beginning of the term and the instructor of record will receive a meeting request with the date, time and location. If you are not able to attend the training session or have an event scheduled in a GPC, please contact Classroom Technology Services (CTS) at (806)742-5381 or to schedule training.

What if I have issues with the technology during class?

Please call Classroom Technology Services (CTS) immediately at (806)742-5381 and someone will assist you as quickly as possible either over the phone or in person to minimize loss of class time.


Important Upcoming Dates

  • Ad Astra Scheduling Begins (Advanced Access) for Summer and Fall (201587, 201597, 201627)
    Feb 2, 2015
  • Ad Astra Scheduling Open Section Requesting for Summer and Fall (201587, 201597, 201627)
    Feb 16, 2015
  • Summer and Fall (201587, 201597, 201627) term Available on Raiderlink
    Mar 2, 2015
Full Calendar 

Academic Scheduling – Ad Astra

  • Ad Astra Course & Event Scheduling
    Ad Astra Schedule currently supports the following Web Browsers
    • Internet Explorer 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0 (compatibility mode recommended)
    • Mozilla Firefox 2.0+
    • Safari 6.0+
    • Google Chrome (portal and calendar access for guest users)
  • How to Request Events