Reproductive and developmental biology; impacts of environmental stressors (contaminants, climate change) on health and reproductive fitness; relationships between water quality and aquatic habitat quality.
- Grier, H.J., Uribe Aranzabal, M.C., and Patino, R. 2009. The ovary, folliculogenesis, and oogenesis in teleosts. In Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Fishes, Chapter 2 (B.G.M. Jamieson, ed.), Volume 8A. Science Publishers, Enfield, New Hmapshire, USA.
- Campbell, M.D., Patiño, R., Tolan, J., Staruss, R. Diamond, S.L. 2009. Sub-lethal effects of catch and release fishing: measuring capture stress, fish impairment, and predation risk using a condition index. Ices J. Mar. Sci. 63: 513-521.
- Rosen, M.R., Alvarez, D.A., Goodbred, S.L., Leiker, T.J., Patiño, R. 2010. Sources and distribution of organic compounds using passive samplers in Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Nevada and Arizona, and their implications for potential effects on aquatic biota. J. Environ. Qual. 39: 1161-1172.
- Sharma, B, and Patiño, R. 2010. Effects of cadmium, estradiol-17b and their interaction on gonadal condition and metamorphosis of male and female African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis. Chemosphere 79: 499-505.
- Carr, J.A., and Patino, R. 2011. The hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in teleosts and amphibians: endocrine disruption and its consequences to natural populations. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 170: 299-312.