Peer Mentor Program
The purpose of the peer mentoring program is to provide transfer students with a support system that introduces them to the campus and community resources that will encourage a successful academic career at Texas Tech University.
Job Description for Mentors
The primary role of a peer mentor is to provide support for new transfer students at Texas Tech University. Support includes, but is not limited to, providing advice and encouragement to mentees, assisting them in the proper development of study skills, writing skills, and effective time management habits. Being a peer mentor also includes supporting new students through their transition to Texas Tech University and providing them with a link to the many resources that are available to Texas Tech students. The role of a peer mentor is also to help the mentees become connected to the campus community through involvement in student organizations, but at the same time encouraging meaningful involvement experiences.
Information for Mentees
As a mentee of this program, you will be paired with a transfer student who has been on campus for at least one year, and will be available to assist you making in a smooth transition to Tech. THis program is not a tutoring program. However, mentors can provide information regarding tutoring services. If interested in participating in this program, please fill out the mentee application. Currently the number of mentors is limited, but we will do our best to match you with a mentor.
Benefits of joining Peer Mentor Program
- Meet new people
- Mentor will help you feel connected to the university
- Opportunity to learn about Texas Tech from a transfer student
- Mentor will help you navigate Texas Tech campus
- Program will provide a foundation for your remaining years at Texas Tech University
- Opportunity to help create programs for other transfer students
- Mentor will provide information regarding resources available to you as a transfer student
- This program can also serve as a support system for transfer students who do not know anyone at this institution
Print the above forms and submit them in the Center for Campus Life, 201 Student Union Bldg, Box 45014 Lubbock, TX 79409-5014 or email them to email@example.com.