Winter Cheer Tryout :: CoEd Cheer
Texas Tech Cheer will be hosting a CoEd Cheer Winter Tryout on Sunday, December 2 at 1:00 pm. Selection numbers will be based on squad needs, final decision is up to Cheer Coach. Primary purpose for newly selected (if any) members will be to serve on the gameday squads with consideration for National's team. Tryouts are closed to public.
Possible female & male positions available to fill. Exact numbers will be determined after tryout. Coach has right to not fill any available positions. Limited number of possible positions.
- Freshman/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for Spring 2013 (no exceptions, must show acceptance letter.) Apply Here >>
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time for Spring 2013 (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Application Fee ($25 - nonrefundable)
- Completed Application must be submitted prior to tryouts. Encourage any interested parties to contact Coach Bills PRIOR to tryouts.
*Please note, there is not a Cheer Tryout Material Video. Other than your skills, all material needed for tryouts will be taught at tryouts.
|Female Cheerleaders||Male Cheerleaders|
|Black Spandex Shorts||Solid Black Athletic Shorts|
|Solid Black Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable)
|Plain Black T-Shirt
(graphics to the minimum)
|Cheer Shoes||Clean Shaven|
|2 1/4 inch White Grosgrain Ribbon||Athletic Shoes/Cheer Shoes|
|Hair 1/2 up, curled|
winter Cheer Tryout Schedule*
|Sunday, Dec. 2||12:30 pm||Cheer Tryouts Participants
Check In /Warm-Up
|United Spirit Arena
|12:45 pm||Mandatory Information Meeting||United Spirit Arena|
|1:00 pm||Tryout Start||United Spirit Arena|
|~3:00 pm||Tryout Ends/New Members Posted||Facebook & Twitter|
*Subject to Change. Updates will be posted on Tech Cheer Facebook page.
Recommended Skills and Tryout format
- Standing Back Tuck or Full
- Jumps to Back Tuck or Full (limit to 3 jumps)
- Optional Standing Tumbling - full or better
- Running Tumbling (must be back handspring back tuck level or better)
- Optional Running Tumbling Pass - additional pass if you have full or better
- Basket Toss
- Optional Elite Level Skill Basket Toss
- Stunts - (partners must be with someone trying out or current squad member)
- Two Stunts - judged on execution and difficulty level
- Use variations for entry into stunts (full ups, toss, ball-ups, rewinds, front handspring up, etc)
- Females: 2 stunts, showing front flexibility (stretch, over-stretch) and back flexibility (scale, scorpion, arabesque) with Double Down
- Males: 2 stunts, showing difficulty and entry into stunts
- Motion Technique & Crowd Involvement
- All Material will be taught at tryouts. Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant
- 2 minute personal interview with Spirit Program Coaching Staff
- CoEd Squad Only.
- Number of participants chosen will be based on current squad needs and skill level at tryouts. The final decision will be left to the Head Coach.
- Your primary role will be used for gameday coverage. National's mat consideration will be determined after tryouts and based on squad's needs.
- Male and female positions possible to fill.
- Head Cheer Coach reserves the right to not fill any open positions.
- If selected, must report to Lubbock on January 13, 2013 for first practice. At this time a skill level and traditional test will be given to determine final placement on squad.
winter Tryout Information
Other questions... Contact Coach Bills at email@example.com or 806.742.5433
Special COED Cheer winter tryout
- Sunday, December 2
United Spirit Arena
- Number taken will be based on skill level at tryouts and current squad needs. Head Coach will have final decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers are Here!
Bruce Bills, Head Cheer Coach
Follow Tryout updates
Cheer Program Benefits
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Out of State Tuition Waiver
- Uniform & Accessories Paid
- Paid Travel Expenses for out of town games
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- National Competition
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Supportive Alumni