Pom Squad Auditions
The Texas Tech Pom Squad is comprised of elite level and talented dancers.
The Pom Squad performs at all football games, women's home volleyball games, and men's and women's home basketball games. In addition, the Pom Squad has the opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. The Pom Squad will also have opportunity to represent Texas Tech at NDA College Nationals.
Auditions are closed to public.
Dates finalized and posted in January 2017.
Pom Squad Program Benefits
- $1,000 Leadership Scholarship Opportunities
- Out-of-state Tuition Waiver
- Uniforms, Workout Clothes, and Accessories Paid
- Academic Tutoring Services
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Tanning & Skin Care Services
- Eyelash Extensions & Eyebrow Threading Sponsor
- National Competition Opportunities
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Supportive Spirit Alumni Group
General 2017 Audition Requirements
- Freshmen/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for Fall 2017
- Students may participate in Summer Gateway.
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
- Paid at Door for Live Auditions or mail in prior to Auditions.
- Extensive Studio/Dance Training is a prerequisite.
- One Personal Letter stating why you want to be a part of the Texas Tech Pom Squad & what you feel you bring to our team.
- Two dance specific references for evaluation purposes.
- Are not allowed to participate in Fall Greek Recruitment. (Schedule Conflicts).
Audition Attire (Skills Sections, Day 2 & 3)
- Black Hot Shorts
- Solid Black Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable, no embellishments)
- No Embellishments on top or bottoms allowed
- Hair Down and Fixed
(Bangs do NOT need to be pulled back)
- Full Performance Make-Up
(this includes a nice shade of Red Lipstick and lip liner)
- Jazz Shoes
(can not dance bare foot, color of shoe does not matter)
- Nail Polish should be clear, French or American manicured
- No Jewelry allowed, except for rhinestone earrings
- Individual Interview (Preliminary Round)
- Rotating interview with judges & a variety of other professionals associated with our program.
- Audition Routine (Preliminary Round)
- Approximately 6 eight-counts of jazz & 6 eight-counts of hip hop
- A variety of skills will be included in the combination in order to review your technique, skill level, and ability to perform the skills within a routine setting.
- Taught via private YouTube link. Will be mailed out one week prior to auditions. Reviewed at open gym practice.
- Spirit & Motion Technique (Preliminary Round)
- Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd.
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant (taught via YouTube Link)
- Individual Technique (Semi-Final Round)
- Each candidate will be asked to execute a variety of turns, leaps, jumps, and extensions.
- You will be evaluated on skill level, technical execution, and performance.
- Across the Floor Improvisation (Final Round)
- All finalists will be asked to perform 2 rounds of across the floor improvisation.
- Each round will be approximately 2-eight counts in length.
- This should highlight any skills that the candidate has not gotten the chance to perform during the preliminary round.
- Should include a combination of appropriate dance movement & technical skills.
- Conditioning Evaluation (Final Round)
- You will be asked to do an upper body combination, a lower body combination, an abdominal combination, and a cardiovascular exercise.
- These exercises will be explained to you on the spot.
- Potential Call Backs (Final Round)
- This may consists of Fight Song, Audition Routine, Technique, and Interview.
- Individual Interview (Day 1, Friday)
- All candidates will participate in this section. You will be interviewed at various locations in our facility with the judging panel as well as other professionals associated with our program. At this time we will be looking for personality traits conducive to being a successful part of our program.
- Attire: Business Professional
- Texas Tech Fight Song & Chant (Day 2, Saturday)
- Each candidate will be scored on pom technique, performance, and projection. (Learned prior to auditions)
- Jazz & Hip Hop Combination (Day 2, Saturday)
- Each candidate will be scored on technique, performance, and memory. (Learned prior to auditions)
- Individual Technique (Day 2, Saturday)
- Quad Pirouette: Parallel passé & must be to the right.
- A la seconde Turns: Minimum 2 eight-count turn combination of your choice & must be to the right.
- Leg Turn: Can be front, side, or back & on either side
- Center Leap: You may prep however you’d like. This can be on either side.
- Calypsos: You will need to prep with at least one chaines turn before this leap. This must be to the right.
- Switch Variation: May choose any type of switch leap & can be performed on either side. (Ex. Switch-Tilt, Switch-Reverse-Jete, Switch-Leap, Switch-Center, Etc.)
- Leg Extension: Should show optimal flexibility. Can be performed on either leg. (Ex. Penche, Tilt Extension, Side Extension, Back Extension, etc.)
- Hip Hop Skill: Must show strength, control, and/or flexibility. Scored on execution & degree of difficulty. (i.e. headstand, kip up, headspring, rubber band, hopping handstand, etc.)
- Side Aerial: Can be on either side. If you cannot do this skill, you will be asked to do your most advanced cartwheel (example: butterfly).
- Across the Floor Improvisation (Day 3, Sunday)
- This section will be done with all candidates in the room. We will play music and each candidate will need to go across the floor showing any skills that they would like the judges to see. We ask that each candidate use at least 2 full eight-counts, and no more than 3 full-eight counts. All technical skills should be connected with appropriate dance movement.
- Conditioning Evaluation (Day 3, Sunday)
- This section will be done with all remaining finalists in the room. We will give you an upper body, lower body, abdominal, and cardiovascular circuit on the spot. At this time we will be looking for mental toughness, physical fitness, will power, and preparation.
REQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Pom Squad Coach
Texas Tech Pom Squad
Center for Campus Life
025 Student Union - 15th & Akron
Lubbock, TX 79409