Pom Squad Auditions
The Texas Tech Pom Squad is comprised of elite level and talented dancers.
The Pom Squad performs at all football games, women's home volleyball games, and men's and women's home basketball games. In addition, the Pom Squad has the opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. The Pom Squad will also have opportunity to represent Texas Tech at NDA College Nationals.
Auditions are closed to public.
General Audition Requirements
- Freshmen/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for Fall 2013
- Students may participate in Summer Gateway.
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
- Reference Letter from current or recent coach/advisor/director submitted with Application.
- Are not allowed to participate in Fall Greek Recruitment. (Schedule Conflicts)
- Attend tryouts or Submit Video by deadline
The Audition application has closed. Follow updates on facebook.com/TexasTechPomSquad and twitter @ttupom.
Mailing Address for application fee and required documents:
Texas Tech Pom Squad | Box 45014 | Lubbock, TX 79409
Having problems with application? Send Email
|Black Hot Shorts|
|Solid Black Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable, no embellishments)
|No Embellishments on top or bottoms allowed|
|Hair Down and Fixed
(*UPDATE: bangs do NOT need to be pulled back)
|Full Performance Make-Up
(this includes a nice shade of Red Lipstick and lip liner)
(can not dance bare foot, color of shoe does not matter)
|Nail Polish should be clear, French or American manicured|
|No Jewelry allowed, except for rhinestone earrings|
|Friday, April 26||5:00 pm||Video Auditions Deadline||Spirit Program Office|
|6:00 pm||Audition Open Gym Practice||United Spirit Arena
|Saturday, April 27||7:30 am||Prelim Audition Check In/Warm-Up||United Spirit Arena|
|8:00 am||Mandatory Information Meeting||United Spirit Arena|
|8:15 am||Preliminary Auditions Begin||United Spirit Arena|
|8:15 am - 10:15 am||Fight Song/Audition Dance Evaluations||United Spirit Arena|
|10:30 am - 12:30 pm||Individual Technique Evaluations||United Spirit Arena|
|~1:00 pm||Finalists Posted||Online & Social Media|
|Sunday, April 28||7:30 am||FINAL Audition Check-In/Warm-Up||United Spirit Arena|
|8:15 am||Final Auditions Begin||United Spirit Arena|
|8:15 am||Finalists Improv Round 1||United Spirit Arena|
|9:30 am||Finalists Improv Round 2||United Spirit Arena|
|10:45 am||Fight Song Review Evaluations||United Spirit Arena|
|11:15 am||Individual Interviews||United Spirit Arena|
|~2:00 pm||2013-14 Squad Announced||Online & Social Media|
|2:30-3:30 pm||Mandatory Informational Meeting for NEW Squad|
- Audition Routine (Preliminary Round)
- Approximately 6 eight-counts of jazz & 6 eight-counts of hip hop
- A variety of skills will be included in the combination in order to review your technique, skill level, and ability to perform the skills within a routine setting.
- Taught via private YouTube link. Will be mailed out one week prior to auditions. Reviewed at open gym practice.
- Spirit & Motion Technique (Preliminary Round)
- Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd.
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant (taught via YouTube Link)
- Individual Technique (Preliminary Round)
- Each candidate will be asked to execute a variety of turns, leaps, jumps, and extensions.
- You will be evaluated on skill level, technical execution, and performance.
- Across the Floor Improvisation (Final Round)
- All finalists will be asked to perform 2 rounds of across the floor improvisation.
- Each round will be approximately 2-eight counts in length.
- This should highlight any skills that the candidate has not gotten the chance to perform during the preliminary round.
- Should include a combination of appropriate dance movement & technical skills.
- Individual Interview (Final Round)
- 3 minute personal interview with judges.
- Texas Tech Fight Song & Chant (Day 1)
- Each candidate will be scored on pom technique, performance, and projection. (Learned prior to auditions)
- Jazz & Hip Hop Combination (Day 1)
- Each candidate will be scored on technique, performance, and memory. (Learned prior to auditions)
- Individual Technique (Day 1)
- Triple Pirouette: Parallel passé & must be to the right.
- Triple Coupe Turn: Turned out & must be to the right.
- Six a la seconde turns: You may prep & end however you’d like. This must be to the right.
- Center Leap: You may prep however you’d like. This can be on either side.
- Calypsos: You will need to prep with at least one chaines turn before this leap. This must be to the right.
- Switch Variation: May choose any type of switch leap & can be performed on either side. (Ex. Switch-Tilt, Switch-Reverse-Jete, Switch-Leap, Switch-Center, Etc.)
- Leg Extension: Should show optimal flexibility. Can be performed on either leg. (Ex. Penche, Tilt Extension, Side Extension, Back Extension, etc.)
- Across the Floor Improvisation (Day 2)
- This section will be done with all candidates in the room. We will play music and each candidate will need to go across the floor showing any skills that they would like the judges to see. We ask that each candidate use at least 2 full eight-counts, and no more than 3 full-eight counts. All technical skills should be connected with appropriate dance movement.
- Individual Interview (Day 2)
- You will be asked 3 questions by the panel of judges. These questions can vary from candidate to candidate.
Texas Tech Pom Squad
Center for Campus Life
201 Student Union - 15th & Akron
Lubbock, TX 79409
Have Questions? Answers are here!
2013 Audition results
- 2013-2014 Tech Pom
See Squad Names >>
- Application Has Closed
- Expectations Overview >>
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers are Here!
Pom Squad Coach
Follow Tech Pom
Pom Squad Program Benefits
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Uniform & Accessories Paid
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Tanning & Skin Care Services
- National Competition
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Supportive Alumni