The purpose of the Transfer Connection is to provide an umbrella for the programs and services offered by Texas Tech University geared specifically for transfer students. The Transfer Connection is a collaborative collection of programs and services that will assist transfer students in their transition to Texas Tech University. Recent studies show that transfer student experience a phenomenon called the "transfer shock." In this "transfer shock," transfer students feel lonely, lost, overwhelmed, and uncertainty about their decision to transfer, which can result in a drop in grade point average, and in some cases, drop-out. Results from a focus group conducted with five random currently enrolled transfer students support the information provided by researchers. The Transfer Connection program will provide opportunities for transfer student to create connections with Texas Tech University students, faculty, and staff, and to the university community with hopes of retaining these students through graduation.
Ways to Combat Transfer Shock:
- Get tutoring if needed and discuss issues with professors
- Get involved
- Don't expect an instantly large social life
- Be persistent about finding information out: sometimes it is easy to get the run-around but if you keep with it you will eventually find out what you need to know
- Talk to people in your classes/ make study groups...chances are you'll make a friend for longer than a semester
- Meet regularly with advisors and keep track of degree requirements
- Be sure to go to the health center if you're sick (drink juice and sleep...even when you're healthy)
- Be sure to take a break from studying and have fun every now and then!
TRANSFER CONNECTION PROGRAMS
- The Transfer Council is a group of students who serve as liaisons between transfer students and the administration. This group falls under the Student Government Association.
- Applications for the Transfer Council are available at the beginning of each fall semester. There is also an interview process for this group.
- Transfer Techsans is a registered student organization designed to help students create a social network once they transfer to Tech.
- There are social events, community service events, and other activities for students who join this organization.
- The Transfer Connection Learning Community provides a unique experience for transfer students to live together in an environment supporting their academic, personal, and professional success.
- This learning community is housed in the Murray Residence Hall.
- For more information and to apply for housing, visit http://myhousing.ttu.edu
Transfer Connection Learning Community
- Raider Welcome is a weeklong series of FUN and FREE events designed to welcome new and returning students to the Texas Tech campus. Among the activities are a few major events, some old-standing traditions, and some exciting new opportunities that you just can not afford to miss!
- For a detailed list of events, please visit http://www.raiderwelcome.ttu.edu
Summer Reading Program
- The Summer Reading Program is designed to introduce students to the intellectual life of Texas Tech University. Encouraged of all new, first year students, it involves reading an assigned book over the summer months, and participating in discussions with faculty and staff members during the fall & spring semester.
- For more information regarding the Summer Reading Program and a list of events, please visit http://www.summerreading.ttu.edu