Dr. Andrew M. Harned
Title: Associate Professor
Education: B.S. Virginia Tech, 1999
Ph.D. University of Kansas, 2005
Postdoc California Institute of Technology, 2004–2007
Research Area: Organic, Medicinal and Bioorganic Chemistry
Office: Chemistry 223-D
Webpage: Research Group
Principal Research Interests
- Organic Synthesis
- Asymmetric Catalysis
- Medicinal Chemistry/Drug Discovery
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Mechanistic Studies
- Computational Chemistry
New Methods and Strategies for Natural Product Synthesis
Examples of current natural product targets of interest are the hasubanan alkaloids, briarane diterpenoids, azaphilone lactones, and the structurally related compounds biselyngbyaside and biselyngbyolide A. Many of these targets build on our interest in studying cyclohexadienone reactivity.
Design of Asymmetric Hypervalent Iodine Catalysts and Study of Reactivity
Our group is actively pursuing the design of chiral aryl iodide catalysts for asymmetric oxidation reactions. In support of these efforts we are using experimental and computational methods to study various mechanistic details of iodine(III)-mediated oxidative dearomatization.
Design of Novel Electrophiles as Biological Probes & Medicinal Agents
Our group has already identified new small molecules that can serve as electrophilic inhibitors of the NF-kB signaling pathway. Building off this success we are working to identify other novel electrophiles for use as medicinal agents and probes for biological pathways.
- Harned, A. M. Asymmetric oxidative dearomatizations promoted by hypervalent iodine(III) reagents: an opportunity or rational catalyst design? Tetrahedron Lett.2014, 55, 4681–4689.
- Volp, K. A.; Harned, A. M. Origin of Stereoselectivity of the Alkylation of Cyclohexadienone-Derived Bicyclic Malonates. J. Org. Chem.2013, 78, 7554–7564.
- Tello-Aburto, R.; Kalstabakken, K. A.; Harned, A. M. Ligand and Substrate Effects During Pd-Catalyzed Cyclizations of Alkyne-Tethered Cyclohexadienones. Org. Biomol. Chem.2013, 11, 5596–5604.
- Volp, K. A.; Harned, A. M. Chiral Aryl Iodide Catalysts for the Enantioselective Synthesis of para-Quinols. Chem. Commun.2013, 49, 3001–3003.
- Hexum, J. K.; Tello-Aburto, R.; Struntz, N. B.; Harned, A. M.; Harki, D. A. Bicyclic Cyclohexenones as Inhibitors of NF-κB Signaling. ACS Med. Chem. Lett.2012, 3, 459–464.
- Tello-Aburto, R.; Kalstabakken, K. A.; Volp, K. A.; Harned, A. M. Regioselective and Stereoselective Cyclization of Cyclohexadienones Tethered to Active Methylene Groups. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2011, 9, 7849–7859.
- Volp, K. A.; Johnson, D. M.; Harned, A. M. A Concise Synthetic Approach to the Sorbicillactones: Total Synthesis of Sobicillactone A and 9-epi-Sorbicillactone A. Org. Lett.2011, 13, 4486–4489.