Languages & Cultures - BA Program
The Bachelor of Arts in Languages and Cultures consists of 33 hours at the 2000-level and above, including CMLL 2305. As part of the required hours, each of the degree's five concentrations must include the following:
- American Sign Language / English Interpretation - A minimum of three 4000-level ASL courses (9 hours, ASL 4301, 4331, and 4332)
- Chinese - A minimum of two 4000-level Chinese courses (6 hours, CHIN 3305 and CHIN 3306)
- Classics - A minimum of two 4000-level Classics courses (6 hours)
- French - A minimum of four 4000-level French courses (12 hours)
- German - A minimum of four 4000-level German courses (12 hours)
- Russian Language and Area Studies - A minimum of two 4000-level Russian courses (6 hours)
Students must make a C or better in departmental courses to be eligible for graduation
Communication Literacy Requirement: Students attending Texas Tech University for the first time in the Fall 2017 term or later will complete a Communication Literacy (CL) requirement in their program(s) of study.
Texas Tech University's transition from the Writing Intensive requirement to the Communication Literacy requirement signals the university's awareness that in addition to the fundamental role that writing plays in enabling students to explore, develop, focus, and organize a message, other types of communication must also be taught as appropriate for a student's discipline. Throughout each program of study, then, students must be given ample opportunity to develop their skills in forms of communication central to that program.