International Teaching Assistant Workshop
2014 ITA Workshop: July 21 - August 8
Texas Tech University Operating Policy 64.03 requires that the appointment of international students as teaching assistants be made only after certification of English proficiency and readiness for the classroom. The International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Workshop is conducted each summer to assess and improve the language skills of prospective ITAs.
Academic departments refer students to the ITA program, which is required of all prospective ITAs. Currently, the program consists of a 3-week summer workshop.
Four follow-up courses are offered:
- ESL 5301 - Advanced Writing for International Students
- ESL 5310 - Spoken English Fluency
- ESL 5312 - Academic Communication for ITAs
- ESL 5315 - Academic Writing
These courses are for students whose evaluations during the workshop do not qualify them to teach immediately. (Please note: This is not a web site for information on graduate school admission. For more information on that please consult the TTU Graduate School).
For information about the ITA Summer Workshop and other aspects of the ITA Training Program, please click on any of the links below.
- Meet the ITA Workshop leaders
- ITA Workshop Calendar
- History and Mandated Purpose of Workshop
- Standards for Approval to Teach
- Information for Workshop Participants
- Information for Faculty/Department Advisors
- Skype Interview Assessment Procedures
- Information for NEW International Students
- For “ NEW Student Information on Pre-arrival to the USA ” visit http://www.iaff.ttu.edu/Main/ISSS/prearrival.asp
For information regarding ITA Workshop registration, please contact the academic advisor in your department at Texas Tech University. You cannot register yourself for the workshop. Only your TTU graduate advisor may do so.