Meet the CMLL Admin Team
Carla Burrus: Advisor
Areas of Responsibility
- Undergraduate Advisor and Scheduler for ASL, French, German & Italian
- Undergraduate Advisor for Study Abroad pre-approval and credits approval for French, German & Italian
- Advisor to international prospective students
- Coordinator of the International Teaching Assistant Workshop
- Editor of the CMLL Newsletter
Advising undergraduate students provides Carla the opportunity to heighten students’ cultural awareness, to facilitate students in learning how language plays an important role in career choices in a global economy. Her years of experience working in France enable her to encourage international students’ adaptation to their new environment and this interaction provides personal continual cultural enrichment. As Editor of the CMLL News, she appreciates a creative opportunity and collaboration with CMLL faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
She earned a B.S. in Education from McMurry University and a M.A. in Romance Languages-French from Texas Tech University.
As an avid advocate for education and literacy for everyone, Carla was compelled to found an education –based non-profit organization in 2011 with its mission to promote literacy and education in places with high rates of illiteracy. In May 2013, in collaboration with educators in France and Lubbock, the first public library primarily in French was organized in La Lane, Haiti where free literacy classes, teacher support, and access to books were nonexistent before.