Individual Faculty Research Profile—Andrew Farley, Ph.D.
Language Teaching, Second Language Acquisition, or Applied Linguistics Research Interests
Professor Andrew P. Farley (Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) is Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics in the College of Arts and Sciences at Texas Tech University. Professor Farley has authored numerous articles and book chapters, and his research has appeared in journals such as Hispania, Spanish Applied Linguistics, Southern Journal of Linguistics, Estudios de linguistica aplicada, and in Processing Instruction, a volume by Erlbaum Press. Andrew's research interests include input processing in second language acquisition, lexical access in low-level bilinguals, and the effects of focus-on-form instructional interventions. Andrew presents his research at national and international conferences including American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Second Language Research Forum (SLRF), American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP), and Form-Meaning Connections in Second Language Acquisition (FMSLA). At Texas Tech, Andrew offers courses in Applied Linguistics, Second Language Acquisition, Approaches to Second Language Instruction and an Honors seminar course in New Testament Studies.
- The Naked Gospel: The Truth You May Never Hear in Church (2009, Zondervan- Harper Collins)
- A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith Based Decisions (2009, FaithWords- Hachette)
Journal and Book Series Edited, and Editorial Board Memberships
- Invited Referee for National Science Foundation Grant, April 2007.
- Invited Referee for Language Learning, December 2005.
- Invited Referee for Language Learning, November 2005.
- Invited Referee for Applied Linguistics, March 2004.
- Invited Referee for Southern Journal of Linguistics, October 2003.
- Invited Referee for Southern Journal of Linguistics, September 2003.
- Invited Referee for Georgetown University Press, August 2003.
- Invited Referee for Issues in Applied Linguistics, Fall 2003.
- Invited Referee for Issues in Applied Linguistics, Spring 2003.
Prizes and Honors
- 2007 Hemphill Wells Teaching Excellence Award
- 2006 Nomination for President's Book Award. Structured Input: Grammar Instruction for the Acquisition-Oriented Classroom. McGraw-Hill. Copyright 2005.
- Dr. William M. Scholl Endowed Chair of Romance Languages and Literatures. College of Arts and Letters, University of Notre Dame. Fall 2000 – Spring 2003.
- List of Excellent Teachers, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, The University of Georgia: 1996.