Individual Faculty Research Profile—Charles Grair, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., German Literature, Washington University 1994
- Freie Universität Berlin, FRG 1992-1993
- M.A., German Literature, Washington University 1988
- B.A. with distinction, German Honors, Northwestern University 1986
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, FRG 1984-1985, 1988-1989
Areas of Research:
My main area of research is the German literature of the eighteenth and early nineteenth
centuries, especially the reception and interpretation of the classical legacy by
writers of that period. I am currently working on a book describing the poetical representation
of social and political conflict in the age of Napoleon. I have also published on
pedagogical topics in the areas of business German and second language acquisition.