CMLL Research, Scholarly, and Creative Activities
|Individual Faculty Research Profile—Genaro Perez, Ph.D.
Literature and Culture Research Interests
Contemporary novel, both Peninsular and Latin American, teaching these fields as well as courses in the Mexican novel and the Hispanic novel in the United States, Hispanic Children's literature and Chicano literature
Journal and Book Series Edited, and Editorial Board Memberships
Creative Writing Interests
- Ten Lepers and Other Poems: Exorcising Academic Demos 
- French Quarter Cantos 
- Spanish Quarter Notes 
- French Quarter Tales 
- The Memoirs of John Conde 
- Prosapoemas 
- Formalist Elements in the Novels of Juan Goytisolo.
- La novelística de J. Leyva.
- La novela como burla/juego: siete experimentos novelescos de Gonzalo Torrente Ballester.
- La narrativa de Concha Alós: texto, pretexto y contexto.
- Ortodoxia y Heterodoxia de la novela policiaca hispana: Variaciones sobre el género negro.
- Rabelais, Bajtin y Formalismo en la narrativa de Sergio Pitol.
- More than 150 articles and papers on the foregoing and on other novelists such as Carlos Fuentes, Camilo José Cela, Julio Cortázar, Teresa Pamies, Gustavo Sainz, Juan García Ponce, Rosa Montero, Carmen Riera, and Manuel Puig, as well as studies on García Lorca and Chicano literature.
Prizes and Honors
- Barnie E. Rushing, Jr. Faculty Distinguished Research Award (2013)
- Third Place, President's Book Award (2012)
- Appointed to the State of Texas Textbook Review Panel for Proclamation 2010 (2009)
- South Central Modern Language Association Research Award (1997)
- Who's Who in the South and Southwest (1986-87)
External Funding of any sort
- American Council of Learned Societies Travel Grant to attend the meeting of the Asociación Internacional de Hispanistas in Berlin (1986)
- American Philosophical Society Summer Research Grant to Spain (1986)
- South Central Modern Language Association Grant (1986)
Professional Association Offices Held (with inclusive dates)
- Representative at Large: South Central Modern Language Association (2013-2015)
- Executive Council of SCOLAS (1991-95)
- President of Southwest Council of Latin American Studies (1991)
- Modern Language Association, Delegate Assembly (1989-91)
- Chair, Division of Ethnic Studies in Literature, Modern Language Association of America (1988)
- Executive Committee, Division of Ethnic Studies in Literature, Modern Language Association of America (1985-89)