CMLL Research, Scholarly, and Creative Activities
|Individual Faculty Research Profile—Jason Banta, Ph.D.
Greek Prose Literature of the Imperial Period, Critical Theory and Classics, Ancient Sports and Athletics
- 2006 Ph. D. Classics. State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo
Dissertation “Imperium cum finibus: Plutarch's Archaic Rome”
- M.A. Classics and Classical Archaeology. Texas Tech University
Thesis “Historical Discourse in Herodotus: The Construction of Greek Identity in Book II of the Histories”
- B.A. Classics. Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois
- 2008 “(Re)enactment and (Re)foundation: Plutarch, Thucydides, and the Founding of Rome,” Classical Association of the Midwest and South, Tucson , AZ.
- 2005 “All that Glitters: Helen, Hecuba, Cassandra and Pandora in the Trojan Women, ” Classical Association of the Midwest and South , Madison , WI .
- 2005 “The Clothes Make the Man: Spectacle and Narrative in the Life of Pyrrhus ” American Philological Association, San Francisco .
- 2004 “ Imperium cum finibus : Time and Space in Plutarch's Life of Numa, ” 12 th Annual Milton Plesur Graduate Conference in History, SUNY Buffalo.
- 2002 “ Catull auf Naxos : Ariadne and the Creation of the Lyric Poet in Catullus 64,” Classical Association of the Midwest and South , Austin , TX .
- 2001 “How to Make a Man Out of You: Gender Differentiation and Masculine Identity in the Classical Athenian Gymnasia,” Institute for Research and Education on Women and Gender, SUNY Buffalo .
- 1999 “Complex Contestations: Greek Athletics and Ideology,” Negotiating Ideologies, University of Toronto .
- 1999 “Ideologies of Escapism: Lacanian Intersections of the Birds and the Tempest, ”
- English Graduate Student Association Conference, Texas Tech University ..
- 1999 “Illuminating Intersections: Torch Races and Athletic Characterization in Prometheus Bound, ” Classical Association of the Midwest and South , Cleveland , OH .
- 1998 “The Cosmopolitan Nature of Chariklea : Construction of Self in Heliodorus' Ethiopian Tale ” Classical Association of the Midwest and South Southern Section, Waco , TX .
- 1997 “To Boldly Go Where No Captain Has Gone Before: Captain Kirk and the Odysseus Syndrome,” Southwestern Association for Popular Culture, Lubbock , TX .
- 2008 Women's Classical Caucus American Philological Association Travel Grant
- 1999 Texas Tech University Graduate Student Travel Scholarship (Greece)
- 1998 Texas Tech University Graduate Student Travel Scholarship (Israel)
- 2009 Referee for the American Journal of Philology
- 2008 Moderator and Chair for the panel “Late Antiquity: ‘Christianizing' the Rome World'” for the 18th Annual Texas Medieval Association, October.
- 2007 Referee for the Transactions of the American Philological Association.