Romance Languages MA-Spanish: Thesis
MA Curriculum (Thesis): 36 Hours (30 course hours + 6 thesis hours)
Courses may be repeated for credit if content changes
Required Second Language Teaching Course
- LING 5322: Theoretical and Research Foundations of Language Teaching (Fall) - credits count toward Spanish.
Graduate Advisor Approved Coursework: 21 hours (will be applied as exceptions)
- SPAN 5304: Advanced Business Spanish I
- SPAN 5305: Advanced Business Spanish II
- SPAN 5350: Theory of the Novel
- SPAN 5352: Methods of Literary Criticism
- SPAN 5381: Hispanic Literature of the Southwest
- SPAN 5392: The Play in Spanish
- SPAN 5347: Study Abroad: Language Development
- SPAN 7000: Research (maximum 6 hours unless student studies in Seville): These courses can only be used for research projects approved by the Graduate Advisor and the Departmental Chair. They are not intended to be used for exam preparation.
Minor (optional): 6 Hours
Students may declare a minor as part of the required 30 hours of coursework. Possible minors include, but are not limited to:
- Comparative Literature
- LAIS (Latin American and Iberian Studies)
- Women's Studies
Thesis: 6 Hours
- SPAN 6000, CMLL 6000, or LING 6000
Foreign Language REQUIREMENT (A THIRD LANGUAGE THAT IS NOT ENGLISH OR SPANISH)
Students must also possess reading knowledge of a third language that is not English or Spanish.
In order to determine standard competency reading knowledge in a language other than English or Spanish:
- Students may fulfill the reading knowledge requirement by passing with a C- or better the second course of the sophomore sequence of the required language.
- How to Satisfy Foreign Language Requirement