Electrical Engineering – 1949
Glenn C. Bandy received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Texas Tech in 1949 and his M.S. in 1954 from the University of Arkansas. He joined Texas Instruments in 1955 and is now deputy manager of the Equipment Group’s Advanced Systems & Computer Technology Center.
Throughout most of Mr. Bandy’s TI career, he has been responsible for system engineering on major development programs in the radar and avionics systems areas or has served as a department manager responsible for the development of advanced technology and electronic systems. Programs under his overall management direction have included microwave landing systems, radar systems, navigation systems, identification systems, and interactive speech systems. Most recently, he has served as a liaison between universities and Texas Instruments, and is one of TI’s most effective "champions" in advocating the support of engineering education and research.
Early in his TI career, Mr. Bandy had project engineering design responsibility for a radar console display, subsequently used at a number of major U.S. airports. In the early 1960’s, he headed a microwave product development activity which represented one of the electronic industry’s initial thrusts in the evolution and application of solid state microwave technology.
In 1963, Mr. Bandy assumed the first of a series of systems engineering assignments. A highlight of this period was the development of the MERA radar, the industry’s first active–element, solid–state phased array radar and the first program to involve the extensive development and application of microwave integrated circuits. Subsequently, he headed a team to exploit this new technology, resulting in a government contract for a second–generation system and, in addition, the broad application of microwave integrated circuits in more conventional systems.
Mr. Bandy was elected to the Arkansas Academy of Electrical Engineering in 1980 for his contributions to the engineering profession and received the Distinguished Engineering Service Award from the College of Engineering at the University of Arkansas in 1984 for his support of engineering education.
The Texas Tech College of Engineering is honored to extend to him the title of DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER.