Mechanical Engineering – 1933
Miles Roger Clapp, a native of Albia, Iowa, was born in 1910 and graduated from Texas Tech in 1933 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. By the time the institution observed its 10th birthday in 1935, he was back at his alma mater as an instructor. After tenure of two years in this position, he enrolled at Purdue University and, in 1938, he received his MS. degree in Mechanical Engineering. At this point he joined the faculty of Case Institute of Technology and taught there until 1941.
Following his relatively brief stay in academia, Mr. Clapp began an industry career which started with his being hired by Lubrizol Corporation as a plant engineer. Fifteen years later, he was elected to the Board of Directors and, in 1958, he was named vice president for manufacturing. Six years in this position led to his promotion to executive vice president and two more years to his being named president of the Lubrizol Corporation. In 1968, he became the company’s president and chief executive officer.
Although Mr. Clapp’s rise within his corporation was meteoric, he allotted a good portion of his time and effort to the support of a variety of civic ventures. Significant among these are his service as chairman of the board of trustees of the Andrews School, Willoughby, Ohio; trustee of the Florence Crittenton Home, Cleveland; and trustee, Northeast Ohio Council of Boy Scouts of America, Cleveland.
For his very special academic achievements, his success in industry and his many contributions to the social welfare of his community, Miles Roger Clapp is declared to be a DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER.