Explore Engineering Overview
We are excited to welcome you to the Texas Tech Whitacre College of Engineering! This camp will provide an opportunity to spend a week as a Texas Tech Engineering student. You will be introduced to engineering concepts and gain experience with classroom lectures, hands-on group projects, and campus life. Your day will be structured as a current engineering student. We will also highlight campus resources such as admission requirements, financial aid, student support, and many more. You will reside in a residence hall on campus for the week to bring your campus experience full-circle.
This week will bring you firsthand insight to the world of engineering and Texas Tech University!
Who Should Apply?
This camp is targeted to male and female high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors with an interest in pursuing a career in engineering.
- You must be entering 2020-2021 as a sophomore, junior, or senior year in high school
- Along with your application, mail or email the following documents by Friday, April 24, 2020.
- Two recommendation forms from a counselor, teacher, school administrator, or employer
- One page (typed, double spaced) essay introducing yourself, expressing your interest in engineering, and why you would like to pursue a career in engineering
Participants will be chosen based on their recommendation letters and essay. Accepted applicants will be notified by mail by May 1, 2020. Upon acceptance you will need to send additional documentation and the $350 camp fee to the address below:
- USPS: Whitacre College of Engineering c/o Jamie Perez, Explore Engineering, Box 43103 Lubbock, TX 79409-3103
- Make checks out to Texas Tech University, Explore Engineering.
Take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about this camp in Lubbock, TX.
Overview of the Week
Dates and Location
Sunday, June 21 – Friday, June 26, 2020
Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas
Registration for Explore Engineering camp opens January 2020.
Check in to residence halls, camp introduction, and team-building activities.
Monday - Thursday
Morning lectures on engineering concepts, seminars on professional development, admissions, financial aid, and campus resources. The afternoon includes engineering projects, dinner, campus activities.
Week review for parents, final group presentations (parents/guest welcome).
*Schedule is subject to change. Classes may begin on Sunday.
Full cost per participant is $900. Through a generous contribution from Halliburton and ConocoPhillips, each student receives an automatic $550 scholarship toward the cost of the summer camp.
Cost covers residence hall stay, meals, project supplies, camp T-shirt, and campus activities. Extra spending money may be sent upon the discretion of the parents, which can be spent on Texas Tech memorabilia, snacks at the on-campus stores, and/or lost key to residence hall.
If you need to cancel your registration for any reason you must do so by Monday, May 18, 2020. No refunds will be given after that date.
The Whitacre College of Engineering reserves the right to cancel the camp due to insufficient registrations. If the event is canceled for any reason, you will be notified immediately and all fees will be returned in full.
If you have questions regarding registration, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Checklist to Acceptance
- Fill out the application
- Get two recommendation forms filled out
- Write your one-page essay
- Email your application, essay, and two recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once acceptance is confirmed submit the $350 camp fee
Explore Engineering Counselors