Student Conduct

Each graduate policy is intended to assist student decisions and guide faculty conduct. All are subject to change and all are subservient to applicable university policies and deadlines. Anyone reading these policies is advised also to read and understand the applicable university operating policies and to ensure these guidelines are current.

Graduate students are governed by the Student Code of Conduct. The code is available either on-line or from the Office of Student Life.

Texas Tech University and the College of Media & Communication are dedicated not only to learning, research and the advancement of knowledge, but also to the development of ethically sensitive and responsible persons. The college seeks to achieve these goals through sound educational programs and policies governing individual conduct that encourages independence and maturity. By accepting membership in this college, an individual joins a community characterized by free expression, free inquiry, intellectual honesty, respect for others, and participation in constructive change. All rights and responsibilities exercised within this academic environment shall be compatible with these principles.

The stressful situations experienced in graduate school occasionally result in personal friction between students or between students and faculty. In most cases, these incidents can and should be worked out between the individuals involved on the basis of common courtesy, mutual respect, and common sense. Individual incidents or trends that cannot be resolved at the personal level or which are serious violations of civil, student or professional codes should be documented in writing and reported to the appropriate authority. Typically such reports are initiated with either the Dean of the College of Media & Communication, the Associate Dean of Students or the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. If conflicts cannot be resolved within the College of Media & Communication, other options for addressing conflicts include the University Ombudsman or the Student Mediation Center.