From Dean Jerry C. Hudson
Resignation of President Bailey — On July 5, 2012, we learned that President Guy Bailey had accepted an offer from the University of Alabama to be its president. President Bailey has been a major asset to the university and the college. We will miss his leadership and guidance. We are a better university today than when he began his presidency in 2008. However, I assure you that the university and college will continue to grow and prosper under new leadership. Until a permanent president is selected, Dr. Lawrence Schovanec, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will serve as the interim president.
College Changes — I have mentioned in previous columns that we have changed the name of the college to the College of Media & Communication. We also have combined the departments of Journalism and Electronic Media & Communication into one department – The Department of Journalism & Electronic Media. The Texas Tech Board of Regents approved the changes at its May meeting. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved our requests for these changes in July. Therefore, the changes are official.
Thanks — Since September 2011, many of you have made significant contributions to our scholarship endowments, funds for excellence, and planned gifts. During the past four years, the college has averaged more than $1 million in contributions and planned gifts. When we became a college in 2004, our goal was to double our scholarship endowments by 2010. With your help, we were successful. In 2010, we set a goal of again doubling our 2010 endowments by 2015. I think you will assist us in achieving this goal through additional contributions and planned gifts. Thank you for your loyalty to the college and to Texas Tech University.
Celebration — By the time you read this column, we will have moved into our $25 million, newly renovated building. We are planning a major celebration on the evening of Nov. 9. I invite you to join us as we dedicate the new facilities with guest speakers, a champagne toast, and a tour of the building. You will find a schedule of events for that weekend below. Please join us.
Because we are making numerous changes this year in the college, I encourage you to make frequent visits to the college website www.mcom.ttu.edu for updated information and news. I hope to see you in November.
- September 14 - 15: Family Weekend, Red Raiders vs. University of New Mexico
- New building tours, September 14, 2 - 4 p.m.
- New building tours, September 15, 10 a.m. - Noon
- October 12 - 13: Homecoming, Red Raiders vs. West Virginia University
- New building tours, October 12, 2 - 4 p.m.
- New building tours, October 13, 10 - Noon
- November 8: Career Fair, 1 - 5 p.m., Frazier Alumni Pavilion
- November 9:
- Mass Communications National Advisory Board Meeting, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Hall of Fame Luncheon, 11:30 - 1 p.m. McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center
- Building dedication and tours, 6 - 8 p.m.
- November 10:
- Outstanding Alumni Breakfast, 8 a.m. McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center