Texas Tech University

General Degree Information

Admission of Transfer Students

Students transferring from another academic institution must meet the university-wide admission requirements stated in the catalog. Students requesting permission to transfer from another college at Texas Tech must have an adjusted cumulative GPA of at least 2.00. In addition, they must provide the Student Division office (203 Holden Hall) with a transcript of all academic work. Several majors in the J.T. & Margaret Talkington College of Visual & Performing Arts (TCVPA) have additional admission requirements. Consult the "Admissions" section of the current catalog. Approval will be granted at the Student Division office. TCVPA will determine the applicability of any transferred credit to academic programs in the college. The last 30 hours prior to graduation must be completed while enrolled in the TCVPA.

Catalog Selection

Students will use the catalog issued for the year in which they were first officially admitted to the TCVPA, or a more recent catalog if approved. However, if they later transfer to another institution or another college at Texas Tech, they will use the catalog in effect when they are readmitted to theTCVPA. For these purposes, a catalog expires after seven years at which time the current catalog becomes the catalog in effect.

Core Curriculum Requirements

The Core Curriculum Requirements ensure breadth in each academic program. These requirements have been incorporated into the college's various degree programs. 

Course Load

A normal full-time course load is 15 hours per semester.  Course loads in excess of 19 semester hours require approval by the Associate Dean in the Student Division of the TCVPA. The maximum course load for a student on probation is 16 hours. The normal course load for a single summer term is 6-8 hours. To meet graduation requirements, a graduating senior may petition to take 9 hour one term or a total of 15 hours in both terms.

Credit by Examination

A matriculated student may attempt credit by examination by obtaining written approval from the academic dean's office.

Degree Plan and Intention to Graduate

Students are encouraged to file degree plans with the dean's office as soon as their academic goals are clearly defined. Students must file degree plan upon completing 45 hours of course work. The Intention to Graduate form must be filed one year before the intended date of graduation.

Freshman Year

Entering freshmen develop their programs in conference with an academic advisor. The students report to their advisors for such individual conferences or group meeting as are needed for the purpose of orienting themselves to academic regulations and procedures, curricula, and degree requirements in their various areas of interest. Students are urged to take required freshman courses during the freshman year.

Grades of D

Credits for a course in which a grade of D is earned may not be applied toward fulfillment of the major (sometimes including adjunct requirements), minor, or teaching field requirements for any degree program.

Grading Practices

The TCVPA conforms to University grading practices as set forth in the major section entitled "Academic Regulation" in the university catalog. In addition, the following regulations apply with the college. Except for those courses designated "may be repeated for credit" in the catalog, no course may be used more than once on a degree plan unless it has been approved by the Associate Dean in the Student Division of the TCVPA.

Second Bachelor's Degree

No second bachelor's degree is conferred until the candidate has completed at least 24 semester hours in residence in addition to the courses counted toward the first bachelor's degree. Credit by examination and correspondence courses will not satisfy the 24-hour residence requirement.

Teacher Education

The Curricula of most of the Bachelor of Arts degree programs are sufficiently flexible to permit a student to major in an academic subject, yet meet the requirements for certification by taking the required courses in the College of Education. Prospective teachers should refer to the section of the University Catalog describing teacher education and consult the College of Education and the chairperson or undergraduate advisor of the department in which they wish to major. Students wishing to pursue teacher certification in one of the visual or performing arts should refer to the catalog listings under those units (School of Art, School of Music, School of Theatre and Dance) and must consult with the appropriate advisor for those specific disciplines.