First Gen Learning Community
What are Learning Communities?
Our Learning Communities (LCs) are unique and transformative communities where students seeking similar academic goals can live, learn and play together. At Texas Tech, we currently have 17 Learning Communities where over 4,000 Red Raiders (about 1/2 of our population) reside. Our LCs have designated residence hall floors led by Community Advisors (CAs) who offer tailored programming for your specific academic and personal needs. Our CAs are usually members of the same program too!
Our LCs share many of the same characteristics and offer numerous possibilities:
- Develop a supportive network composed of peers, faculty and staff.
- Connect with professors in and outside the classroom.
- Develop lasting friendships.
- Experience events designed specifically for your personal and academic needs.
- Make a big campus feel smaller.
- Learn the ropes at Texas Tech by getting better connected with helpful resources on our campus.
- Attend out-of-class programs and go on exciting trips.
- Get involved in Lubbock through community service efforts.
Why join a Learning Community?
Living in our LCs boosts your chances for academic success and offer the opportunity to share an intellectual experience with your peers. You will also have increased access to faculty and academic support staff.
National research shows that involvement in learning communities contributes to:
- Development of personal relationships with other students in the classroom.
- Increased GPA.
- Greater involvement on campus and in professional organizations.
- Higher likelihood of graduating in four years.
- Easier transition from high school to college.
- Increased class attendance.
How do I sign up?
The First Gen Learning Community requires students to have been accepted into Texas Tech and be considered First Generation College (FGC) students. If you are an incoming freshman and want to live in the LC, indicate this on your housing application. Space is limited and assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. To get started, visit the Student Housing website.