ExxonMobil Bernard Harris Summer Science Camp
The ExxonMobil Bernard Harris Summer Science Camp (EMBHSSC) is organized to provide activities, experiments, projects, and field experiences for students entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in the fall of 2014. The camp promotes science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education and supports historically underserved and underrepresented students with limited opportunities. Students attend the camp free of charge. Students currently in grade 5, 6, or 7 who have an interest in science and mathematics, at least a B average in science and mathematics courses and a passing score on the state's standardized science and mathematics tests are eligible to apply. Immediate family members of the university staff, EMBHSSC camp staff and ExxonMobil employees are not eligible.
This summer, the theme of EMBHSSC at Texas Tech University is "Mind Blown". During camp students will learn about wind engineering and why the development of clean energy sources will be important during our lifetimes.
The camp is open to the following groups:
- Historically underserved and underrepresented students with limited opportunities
- Students in grades 5, 6 or 7 that are interested in science and mathematics
- Students with at least a B average in science and mathematics
- Students with at least a passing score on state standardized tests in science and mathematics
Session topics and activities include:
- Principles and physics of wind to electricity
- Environmental considerations in wind power
- Atmospherics and meteorological aspects of forecasting wind power
- Wind turbine design considerations
- Building a wind turbine
- Wind sailing at Reese Technology Center (wind permitting)
- Wind tunnel demonstration
- Model Turbine Project competition
The camp goals are to provide students with information regarding:
- Interdisciplinary nature of wind science
- What careers are possible with a degree in wind science
- What academic skills are necessary to succeed
Click here to apply to the camp. Please note that only 48 students will be admitted to the camp and the committee will select applicants based on both need and merit. If your student is not selected, they will be placed on the waitlist. If you would like to view the official EMBHSSC page please click here.