Become a Mentor
The FGC student mentor program is designed to help FGC first-year students make successful academic and social adjustments to college. Our mission is to connect new FGC students to Texas Tech University by personally supporting, serving, and using all available resources to ease their transition to college life. An FGC student mentor's overall goal is to assist in the recruitment and the retention of First-year First Generation College students.
WHY BE A MENTOR?
- Serve as a role model for FGC first-year students
- Develop leadership, communication, and public speaking skills
- Enhance your resume
- Become a spokesperson for Texas Tech University
- Earn $8.00/hr (5 hrs per week) very flexible
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on mentor teams
- Meet weekly with students throughout the year and keep them up to date on programs and events
- Attend mandatory training sessions to learn about the university, campus procedure, and the orientation schedule
- Assist in the facilitation of POWER Sessions
- Participate in bi-weekly student mentor meetings
- Promote PEGASUS during outreach events
- Assist with programs dedicated to first-year FGC students.
HOW TO BE A MENTOR
APPLY TO BE A MENTOR!
Do you want to get paid for hanging out with friends, studying, or eating pizza?
What if you could do all these things while making a difference in someone's first year in college and getting paid to do so?!!? By becoming a PEGASUS Mentor you will have the opportunity to experience all of this and more.
If you are interested in becoming a FGC Student Mentor, please pick up the Mentor Application in Doak Hall 110 and turn it in to PEGASUS Staff at the same location or email it to email@example.com, or just come in and speak to one of the PEGASUS Staff.
- Must be a FGC student who has completed two or more semesters at TTU
- 3.0 or greater GPA
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Exhibit strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to be a positive, productive team member
- Willingness to serve and represent FGC students at Texas Tech University
- Willingness to serve and represent Texas Tech University as a FGC mentor
- Agree to commit up to 5 hours per week to PEGASUS program