Institutional Biosafety Committee
The committee reports to the Vice President of Research and provides direction for the following:
- Responsible for policies and procedures relating to pathogenic microorganisms and implementation of biological safety programs for Texas Tech University.
- Ensuring Texas Tech University's compliance with NIH guidelines and assess the safety of recombinant DNA research experiments and any potential risk to public health or the environment.
- To certify investigators, their laboratories and their programs for work with pathogenic microorganisms, biological toxins and recombinant DNA.
- To produce and update the University Biological Safety Manual and oversee its implementation in the research laboratories and studios of Texas Tech University.
- To review and recommend to Environmental Health & Safety the need for general and specific training programs for research, studio and teaching activities dealing with pathogenic microorganisms and recombinant DNA, and to review the appropriateness and effectiveness of such training programs.
The Department of Environmental Health & Safety helps coordinate the committee and helps develop and implement the biological safety programs of the IBC.
Designated by the Vice President of Research on recommendation from the Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health & Safety.
As required by the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules (Sec IV-B-2), the IBC shall consist of no fewer than seven full members including:
- At least one Microbiologist
- At least one Animal Expert
- At least one Plant Expert
- At least one Endocrinologist
- At least two community members
- A staff member
Ex Officio (without vote) members include the Assistant Vice President for Environmental Health & Safety and the Biological Safety Officer (BSO) of the university.
The term of membership for full members are staggered three-year cycles.
2018 – 2019 Membership Roster
Dr. Kendra Nightingale, Microbiologist, Animal & Food Science
Dr. Hong Zhang - Plant Biologist, Biology
Terms Expire August 31, 2019
Dr. Kayleigh Millerick - Microbiologist, Civil, Environmental & Construction Engineering
Dr. Joe Neary - Veterinarian, Animal & Food Sciences
Dr. Huazhong Shi - Plant Biologist, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Terms Expire August 31, 2020
Mr. Neil Weems - Community Member
Terms Expire August 31, 2021
Dr. Breanna Harris - Endocrinologist, Biological Sciences
Dr. Jyotsna Sharma - Plant Biologist, Plant and Soil Sciences
Mrs. Andrea Krieg - Staff, Animal and Food Sciences
Mr. Gary Henniger - Community Member
Dr. Tiffanie Brooks - Veterinarian, Animal Care Services
Biological Safety Specialists
Mr. Jared Martin, Biological Safety Officer, Environmental Health & Safety
Mrs. Rebecca Maloney, Laboratory Safety Specialist, Environmental Health & Safety
Ex Officio Members
Dr. Alice Young, Associate Vice President of Research, Office of the Vice President of Research
Mr. Matt Roe, Administrative Representative, Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health & Safety
Quarterly. For the date and time of the next scheduled meeting, please contact Environmental Health & Safety.