Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences
The Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences is designed for students who wish to pursue multiple fields of study within the College of Human Sciences. It provides flexibility for students to explore specific areas of interest, work toward career goals, or prepare for graduate or professional study. Students are required to select three areas of concentration, which are similar in content to a minor.
Each concentration consists of a minimum of 18 semester hours for a total of 54 minimum hours. Two concentrations must be in the College of Human Sciences and may be selected from addictive disorders and recovery studies; apparel design and manufacturing; community, family, and addiction sciences; human development and family studies; interior design; nutritional sciences; personal financial planning; restaurant, hotel, and institutional management; retail management; personal finance, youth development, and family and consumer sciences extension education.
Students are also required to complete the core curriculum required by both the university and the College of Human Sciences for a total of 120 semester hours. For additional information about the requirements and course offerings, see an academic advisor in the College of Human Sciences.
- 120 credit hours
- Coursework is completed primarily online. Some courses, like lab sciences, cannot be taught online and must be taken face-to-face at a college or university in your area.
- Prerequisite: high school diploma or GED
- Students are not required to enroll in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual. Learn more about the difference between part-time and full-time Student status..
- Semester-based courses run with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enroll at the beginning of any one of the four yearly sessions.
- Related online programs:
- Master of Science in Human Development and Family Studies
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least three months prior to projected initial enrollment.
- Apply to Texas Tech University as either a first-time freshman or an undergraduate transfer.
- The application fee is $75 for U.S. students and $125 for international applicants.
- In addition to applying, you will need to submit ACT or SAT scores and an official high school transcript with class rank.
- Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships.
- Financial aid is distributed based on full-time enrollment and several other eligibility requirements. Your enrolled hours as of the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters determines your enrollment status for the semester, and financial aid is disbursed accordingly. Attending less than full-time could mean a reduction in aid. Learn more.
- Upon acceptance, you will be assigned an advisor to ensure your continuous progress
towards the degree. If you receive a letter of rejection, there is an opportunity
for filing a re-evaluation request if performance improves.
- Texas Tech University will notify you of your application status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink.
Curriculum for B.S. in Human Sciences
|HUSC 1100 or IS 1100||1|
|ENGL 1301, Essentials of College Rhetoric||3||ENGL 1302, Advanced College Rhetoric‡||3|
|Mathematics*||3||Mathematics or Logic*||3|
|Creative Arts*||3||Social and Behavioral Sciences*||3|
|POLS 1301, American Gov., Org.||3||Human Sciences Core Elective†||3|
|Concentration||3||POLS 2302, American Public Policy‡||3|
|HIST 2300, History of U.S. to 1877||3||HIST 2301, History of U.S. Since 1877||3|
|Language, Philosophy, and Culture*||3||CFAS 2300, Community, Civility, & Ethics||3|
|Life and Physical Science*||4||Concentration||9|
|Life and Physical Science*||4||Elective||3|
Total hours required for degree: 120
Students who will graduate under a catalog previous to 2012-2013 must meet the Technology
and Applied Science requirement of the core.
* Choose from core curriculum requirements.
† Choose from ADRS 2310, HDFS 2322, PFP 3301, NS 1325.
‡ Prerequisites and restrictions apply.
Currently Available Distance Concentrations in the College of Human Sciences
|Concentration in Human Development and Family Studies|
|HDFS 2303 Life Span Perspectives||X|
|HDFS 3301 Theories of Human Development and Family Studies||X|
|HDFS 3310 Prenatal and Infant Development||X|
|HDFS 3320 Contemporary Families||X|
|HDFS 3350 Development in Cross-‐Cultural Perspectives||X|
|HDFS 3390 Research Methods in HDFS||X|
|At least one of these courses is offered in the summer and frequently courses are offered more than once a year.|
|Concentration in Personal Finance|
|PFP 1302 Cultural and Gender Diversity in Personal Finance
PFP 1305 Love, Life, and Money
|PFP 1301 Introduction to Personal Finance||X||X||X|
|PFP 3321 Financial Counseling and Consumer Credit||X||X||X|
|PFP 3341 Personal Finance: Goal Planning||X||X||X|
|PFP 3361 Personal Finance: Managing Risk||X||X||X|
|PFP 3381 Personal Finance: Investing||X||X||X|
|Concentration in Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management|
|RHIM 2310 Introduction to Hospitality Management||X||X||X|
|RHIM 3308 Hotel Group Sales and Services||X||X||X|
|RHIM 3341 Hospitality Management||X||X||X|
|RHIM 3358 Human Resources in the Service Industry||X||X||X|
|RHIM 4312 Beverage Control Management||X||X||X|
|RHIM 4316 Hospitality Management Marketing||X||X||X|
|RHIM 4340 Wine Marketing*||X||X|
|RHIM 4350 Wine Tourism*||X||X|
|*RHIM 4340 and RHIM 4350 are hybrid courses requiring some time on campus.|
TTU @ Collin Advisement
Texas Tech University at Collin Higher Education Center
Learning Resource Center 146
3452 Spur 399
McKinney, Texas 75069
Are you a prospective TTU eLearning student?
Please enter the information below and a representative from eLearning will contact you shortly.
TTU Worldwide eLearning
Address:Texas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
Phone:Office (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537
Connect With Us:Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram