Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education
Texas Tech's online Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education is offered by the College of Education. The goal of the doctoral program in Special Education is to prepare leadership personnel to help shape the future of special education. The program focuses on outcomes that will prepare graduates in the areas of research, teacher education, program development, and evaluation.
The special education program provides for coursework in the certification areas of generic special education, educational diagnostician, visual impairment, and deaf education. Students in the graduate special education program are prepared to work with individuals with disabilities in a variety of settings, including the public schools, higher education, and the private sector.
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least three months prior to the projected initial enrollment.
- Begin by creating your account and submitting your first application through ApplyTexas.
There is a $60 fee associated with this application. Please be sure to list all institutions
where you have earned any amount of credit on this application. Failure to list all
institutions will result in an incomplete application. If you have questions about
selecting the appropriate degree or semester please contact one of our Student Service
Coordinators. All changes made after an application is submitted will require a $50
- Your eRaider activation information will be emailed to the address you provided on ApplyTexas. It will normally take a couple of days after submission of your ApplyTexas application for you to receive your eRaider. If you do not receive it within 10 business days of submitting your ApplyTexas application, please contact Texas Tech IT Help Central.
- Send copies of all transcripts to the Texas Tech Graduate School at email@example.com. The transcripts must be in PDF format and no larger than 2 MB. Multiple attachments per email will be accepted. Grade reports or unofficial transcripts from university web portals will not be accepted. Please redact the Social Security Number anywhere it appears on your transcript. If documents are written in a language other than English, a copy of a complete and official English translation must be provided with the original language records.
- After you have set up your eRaider account, you can login to the College of Education
Application. This is where you will upload your supplemental materials. The required
supplemental materials will vary by degree. Details of specific requirements by degree
and program are provided on each individual program page. Typically programs will
require resume, recommendations, applicant statement, and writing prompts. All materials
can be uploaded online. You will be provided with links to send to your references
for them to complete an online recommendation form.
- Not all programs require the GRE. Please review your desired program's required supplemental application materials on the program page for information on GRE requirements. Official GRE scores must be sent from Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the Texas Tech Graduate School. ETS does not retain or provide scores that are over five years old. To register for the examination please visit GRE Testing. Texas Tech University code is 6827.
- Once all application requirements are complete with the TTU Graduate School and the College of Education, your application will be sent to the program for review and decision. The timeline for this process varies based on degree and program. Applications are reviewed using a holistic approach considering all required elements of the application.
Prerequisite: Master's Degree
- Must complete 90 credit hours of coursework. 90 hours include:
- 21 hours of Tool courses
- 6 hours College Foundations courses
- 21 hours in Special Education coursework
- 24 hours of additional coursework in Special Education
- 12 (minimum) for Dissertation
- For more information, review the Program Information Handbook
Are you a prospective TTU eLearning student?
Please enter the information below and a representative from eLearning will contact you shortly.
eLearning & Academic Partnerships
AddressTexas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
PhoneOffice (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537