Master of Art Education
Texas Tech University's Master of Art Education program supports practicing teachers with contemporary social theories and strategies that strengthen their classroom, studio practice, and research in relation to art and visual culture.
- 36 credit hours
- Fall and spring coursework is completed online or in Lubbock at Texas Tech University. Required face-to-face sessions each summer will be held at the TTU Center at Junction for a three week period beginning in early June.
- Several nationally-known artists have visited the TTU Center at Junction as guest artists and teachers. See more info about our Summer Art Program here.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University.
Although there is no application deadline, prospective students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least three months prior to projected initial enrollment.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's Graduate School as a master's or continuing professional
education student, based on the area of study that you would like to pursue.
- Complete the Graduate Admissions Application.
- $60 initial application fee or $50 for each subsequent application (including changes of entry date, add/change program requests, or readmission requests).
- GRE scores are not required, but applicants must submit transcripts of all previous coursework for admission consideration.
- International students must also submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to the Graduate School. Scores must be less than two years old at the time of application. *** Broken a:80721 elearning: Grad Admission Overview Link ***.
- Complete the Graduate Admissions Application.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's School of Art.
- Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships.
- Financial aid is distributed based on full-time enrollment and several other eligibility requirements. Your enrolled hours as of the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters determines your enrollment status for the semester, and financial aid is disbursed accordingly. Attending less than full-time could mean a reduction in aid. student status.
- A limited number of merit-based scholarships for students studying at TTU Center at Junction may be available.
- Check your admissions status. Texas Tech University will notify you of your admissions status by updating the Applications tab in your Raiderlink.
Art Education Courses – 12 credit hours (required)
All required art education courses are taught by the School of Art faculty online at the main campus in Lubbock, or at the TTU Center at Junction.
|ART 5360||Art Seminar: Various Topics (may be repeated)|
|ART 5361||Critical Pedagogy in the Visual Arts|
|ART 5363||Research Methods in the Visual Arts (may be repeated)|
|ART 5364||Feminist Research Methods in Visual Studies|
Related Art Courses – 9 to 12 credit hours
All related art courses can be taken at the main campus in Lubbock or at the TTU Center at Junction. The weekly requirement in Junction is 20 in-class hours and 25 additional hours of individual work for one credit hour. Below are examples of the types of related art courses offered. For a complete listing of courses offered at TTU Center at Junction, visit http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ART/SOA/nav/junction/coffered.php. For a complete listing of related art courses offered at the Lubbock campus, visit http://www.art.ttu.edu.
- Intermedia Arts
- Metals (Jewelry)
- Video Editing
Minor – 6-9 credit hours
Below are examples of study areas offered. The minor of two or three courses can be taken online, at the main campus in Lubbock, at TTU Center at Junction, and/or two of the courses may be transferred from a different university.
- Special Needs
- Museum Science
- Studio Art
- Art Education
Capstone Project – 6 credit hours (choose one option)
In lieu of a comprehensive exam, a minimum of 6 capstone credit hours are required. Final presentation and/or exhibition can be on the Junction campus, the main campus, or via electronic communication with approval of your committee A committee will be formed to oversee any of the options below. The committee will consist of two art education faculty members and one graduate faculty member from the TTU School of Art.
|ART 6000||Thesis (for those planning to pursue a Ph.D. and publication)|
|ART 6001||Professional Report (for those interested in developing a project)|
|ART 6002||Artistic/Studio Exhibition|
Contact the program coordinator by phone.
- Name: Future Akins-Tillett
- Phone: 806.742.3825
Summer Art Program
Take studio art enrichment courses for professional development at TTU Center at Junction during the summers.
The program allows artists and art educators the opportunity to take studio art enrichment courses at Junction each summer to apply toward a Master of Art Education degree or to use for professional development.
Summer courses are held at TTU Center at Junction from early June to late July, when students will complete 20 in-class hours and 25 individual-work hours per one hour of credit.
Several nationally known artists have visited the TTU Center at Junction as guest artists and teachers. See more about our Summer Art Program here.
TTU Worldwide eLearning
Address:Texas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
Phone:Office (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537
Connect With Us:Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram