Recording lectures and placing them in an online environment is becoming increasingly
popular. Some instructors do this for fully-online courses. Others create online lectures
for face-to-face students to view before coming to class. This is sometimes known
as "flipping lectures." Doing this allows the instructor to optimize the use of face-to-face
contact time by using it for deep discussion of the material.
There are many factors to consider when creating online lectures, including ADA compliance.
The Instructional Design team of Worldwide eLearning can assist faculty and instructors in using and understanding the following software applications to create lecture/presentation materials for delivery in an online course.
Options for Asynchronous Delivery only:
- Adobe Captivate - Add audio, animations, and screen captures to PowerPoint to create a Flash-based Presentation. (Asynchronous) The IT Division has Computer-Based Training (CBT) for Captivate 4. CBT includes self-paced, interactive, online courses. eRaider authentication is required.
Options for Synchronous and Asynchronous Delivery:
- Microsoft Lync allows you to record and stream your lecture synchronously through the Live Meeting feature. Lync is available as a free software installation for the Texas Tech community.
- Mediasite - Record and deliver your online learning, interactive lectures and multimedia presentations automatically with Mediasite. Capture lectures and presentations for hybrid or online learning, special events and training. Visit with the technology staff in your College or Department to see if Mediasite is already available to you through your department.
While the ID Team does not provide support for the following technologies, you might find one or more of these programs to be useful in preparing online lectures.
- Captivate The IT Division has Computer-Based Training (CBT) for Captivate 4. CBT includes self-paced, interactive, online courses. eRaider authentication is required.
- Jing (Free with limited features)
- Adobe Presenter Add your voice to a PowerPoint presentation, and create lectures and training materials ready for uploading into your online course.
AddressTexas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
PhoneOffice (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537