Awards, Scholarships, and Financial Aid
Funding Available from the English Department and the University
The financial resources and opportunities listed below are available to students in the English Department at Texas Tech. Some awards and scholarships are offered exclusively by the department to its majors, while others are available through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, the Office of Student Financial Aid, or the Office of International Affairs.
Interested students should fill out the appropriate graduate or undergraduate scholarship form (see application link below). Scholarship Committees will match students with appropriate scholarships. By filling out the one university form, students will be considered for any and all departmental scholarships for which they are eligible as well as any college or university scholarships that utilize the university form for selecting awardees.
Application deadlines are set by the university rather than by the department; the general university undergraduate scholarship application deadline is usually February 1, and the general university graduate scholarship application deadline is usually January 15.
- International Student Scholarship Opportunities
- Current list of departmental scholarships and awards
- For Students - Apply for Scholarships. As a current student, select the Continuing Students link. There are separate links for Incoming Freshmen and for Transfer Students. Freshmen and Transfer Students will also need to apply to Texas Tech. You might also want to read the Scholarships FAQs. There is a link to the FAFSA website there. You don't have to complete a FAFSA in order to be considered, but need-based financial aid requires a FAFSA.
- Tips to help you get a scholarship
- For Faculty - Uploading Letters of Recommendation
Other Sources of Funding
In addition to applying for scholarships offered by the English Department, students may also wish to investigate other internal and external sources of funding, including, for example:
- Center for Active Learning & Undergraduate Research
- General scholarship information and opportunities through the College of Arts and Sciences
- Scholarships for New Students and Transfer Students. These are through the Admissions Office.
- Resources available through the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Resources available through the Graduate School.
- Resources available through the Women's Studies Program - Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Awards and Scholarships for International Students
- USA Today's 2016 "10 Best Sites to Search for Scholarships"
Please contact the department chairperson (telephone 806-742-2501) if you are interested in establishing a new English Department scholarship or award or if you would like to contribute to an existing scholarship or award.