Ph.D. University of South Dakota
Dr. Still's research interests include user experience (UX), user-centered design, invention and entrepreneurism.Inventions
Performances and Exhibitions
Service Awards and Honors
- METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR COGNITIVE FUNCTION TESTING
Publication number: 20170049373
Abstract Cognitive function testing. At least some of example embodiments are methods including performing a cognitive function test on a patient without calibrating pupil position of the patient. The performing may include: causing a visual cue on a computer screen in front of the patient to move in a predetermined pattern; reading frames from an eye camera that captures images of an eye of the patient while the visual cue moves on the computer screen and the patient visually tracks the visual cue; determining pupil position within the frames; correcting offsets between the stimulus data and the pupil position data; translating the pupil position data from a coordinate space of the eye camera to a coordinate space of the stimulus data; and generating a test score being the cumulative distance between the stimulus data and pupil position data for each corresponding point in time.
Filed: August 18, 2016
Publication date: February 23, 2017
- Correlating pupil position to gaze location within a scene
Patent number: 9292086
Abstract: Correlating pupil position to gaze location within a scene. Illustrative embodiments may include correlating pupil position of a user to gaze location within a scene viewed by the user. The correlating may include: illuminating an eye of the user, the eye containing the pupil, and the illuminating with light; creating a first video stream depicting the eye; creating a second video stream depicting the scene in front of the user; determining pupil position within the first video stream; calculating gaze location in the second video stream based on pupil position in the first video stream; and sending an indication of the gaze location in the second video stream to a computer system.
Filed: September 11, 2013
Date of Patent: March 22, 2016
Software and Hardware
- EyeGuide Focus, 2016 (10-second concussion testing)
- EyeGuide Visualize and Analyze Software, 2013 (live remote viewing and eye tracking analytic software)
- EyeGuide Mobile Tracker, 2013 (mobile eye tracking research system)
- Grinbath EG, 2012 (wearable eye tracking and control system)
- EyeGuide Assist (mouse-replacement, eye tracking cursor-control software for assistive purposes)
- EyeGuide Capture Software, 2011 (calibration and realtime API software)
- Certified User Experience Professional (licensed by Texas Tech University), 2009
Selected Refereed Articles
- "Bodystorming with Hawkins' Block: Toward a New Methodology for Mobile Media Design." Co-Authored with Brett Oppeggard. Mobile Media & Communication. 1.3 (2013) 356-372.
- "The Blank-Page Technique: Reinvigorating Paper Prototyping in Usability Testing." IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. 53.2 (2010): 144-157.
- "Listening to Students: A Usability Evaluation of Instructor Commentary." Co-authored with Amy Koerber. Journal of Business and Technical Communication. 24.2 (2010): 206-233.
- "A Dozen Years After Open Source's 1998 Birth, It's Time for OpenTechComm." Journal of Technical Writing and Communication. 40.2 (2010): 219-228.
- "Talking to Students: Evaluating the Use of Embedded Voice Commenting for Critiquing Student Writing." Journal of Business and Technical Communication. 20.4 (2006): 460-475.
- "Internal Cultural Barriers to E-Commerce Implementation: A Case Study of How Ineffective Leadership Doomed XYZ's Online Transaction System." Co-authored with Kirk St. Amant.
- Usability of Complex Information Systems: Evaluation of User Interaction (pp. 371). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press (Taylor and Francis). 2010.
- Handbook of Research on Open Source Software: Technological, Economic, and Social Perspectives. Co-edited with Kirk St. Amant. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2007.
- Usability Studies and Technical Communication. Co-edited with Michael J. Albers. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. (2010).
- Online Health Communication. Co-edited with Amy Koerber. Technical Communication Quarterly. 17.3 (2008).
- "Hacking for a Cause." ICFAI Journal of Cyber Law, 5.1 (February 2006): 22-35.
- "An Open Source Primer." Reprinted in Global Information Technologies: Concepts, Tools and Applications. Ed. Felix Tan. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 37-51.
- "Making Our User Experience More Lean." Intercom, 61(7), 27-28.
- "Listening to Your Inner Scream: Do You Want to Start a Business?" Intercom, 60(3), 43-44.
- "SAP Usability: Lessons for Evaluating Process." Intercom, 59(9), 26-27.
- "Taking a Look at Low Fidelity Prototyping." Intercom, 58(4), 49-50.
- "What's Accessible for some is better for All." Intercom, 58(1), 28-29.
- "Usability for a Ubiquitous Computing World." Intercom, 57(7), 31-33.
- “A Comparison of Web-Based Collaboration Software.” IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.8 (September 2005).
- “Wireless VoIP: An Féidir leis Muid a Cheangailt le Chéile?” IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.6 (July 2005).
- "Considering Open Source Content Management Systems." IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.4 (May 2005).
- "A Quick Look at Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)." IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.2 (March 2005).
- "Your Next Assignment: Computer Security Policy." Intercom 51.1 (January 2004): 6-9.
Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
- "What's the Next Telephone: Augmented Reality and Eye Tracking." TED, Lubbock, TX USA. (September 29, 2012).
Service Awards and Honors
- Texas Tech University President's Award for Technology Commercialization (2015)
- Emily K. Schlesinger Award, IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). (July 15, 2009).
- Fundamentals of User-Centered Design: A Practical Approach (pp. 329). With Kate Crane. CRC Press (Taylor and Francis), 2016.
- Online Intersex Communities: Virtual Neighborhoods of Support and Activism (pp. 180). Amherst, NY: Cambria Press. 2008.
- Brian Still and Kirk St. Amant (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Open Source Software (pp. 400). Hershey, PA: IGI Press. 2007.