Dr. Baehr's interests include hypertext theory, online publishing, online instructional design, report writing, and visual rhetoric. He is the author of Web Development: A Visual-Spatial Approach (2007).Books
Edited Journal Issues
- Special Issue: "Sustainable practices for developing a body of knowledge." Co-Editor with Hillary Hart. Technical Communication, 60(4), 2013
- "Incorporating user appropriation, media richness and collaborative knowledge sharing into blended e-learning training." IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 55(2), 175-184, 2012.
- "Data mining—A hybrid methodology for complex and dynamic research". With Lang, S. College Composition and Communication, 64(1), 172-194, 2012
- "Hypertext Theory: Rethinking and Reformulating What We Know in Web 2.0". With Susan Lang. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication (JTWC), 2012.
- "Assessing the Value of Corporate Blogs: A Social Capital Perspective," with Konstanze Alex-Brown, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 2010.
- "Thinking Visually: Heuristics for Web Site Analysis and Design", in Visual Approaches to Web Site Analysis, Hampton Press, 2010.
- "Web Pages and Writing for the Web", in Pfeiffer & Adkins' Technical Writing: A Practical Approach, 7th ed., Prentice Hall, 2009.
- "The Need for New Ways of Thinking", with John Logie, Technical Communication Quarterly 14(1), 2005.
- "Web Pages and Writing for the Web," in William Pfeiffer's Technical Writing: A Practical Approach, 6th Ed., Prentice Hall, 2005.
- "Visual-spatial Thinking in Hypertexts", with Richard Johnson-Sheehan, Technical Communication, 2001.
- "Visual Thinking, Online Documentation and Hypertext," Technical Communication Quarterly Special Issue and Introduction "The Need for New Ways of Thinking," 14.1 (2005), Co-Editor with John Logie.
- "At Work: How Do You Know Whether Your Interface Design is Working Correctly", chapter excerpt in Richard Johnson-Sheehan's, Technical Communication Today, Longman, 2005.
- Conference on College Composition and Communication. 2002 - Present.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - Professional Communication Society. 2002 - Present.
- International Webmasters Association. 2002 - Present.
- Society for Technical Communication. 2000 - Present.
- Program Coordinator, Academic SIG. 2011 - Present.
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing. 2002 - 2009.
- Web Site Co-Editor, Association of Teachers of Technical Writing. 2002 - 2009
- Technical Writer/Editor, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1992-2002.
- Distinguished SIG Service Award, Society for Technical Communication, 2014.
- Associate Fellow, Society for Technical Communication, 2013.
- Community of Excellence Award, Academic SIG Program Manager, Society for Technical Communication, 2012 & 2013.
- Distinguished Technical Communication Award, Society for Technical Communication, 2002.
- Distinguished Technical Communication Award, Society of Technical Communication, 2002, for "Visual-spatial Thinking in Hypertexts" with Richard Johnson-Sheehan, Technical Communication 48(1), 2001.