Ph.D. University of Texas San Antonio
Barrera specializes in Latina/o literatures and the American Southwest as well as
U.S border theory, third space feminist theory, popular culture, and film. She writes
movie reviews for the borderlands journal LareDOS, and has published articles and
reviews in The Quarterly Review of Film and Video and the Journal of Popular Culture.
She is working on a book project that explores cyber technologies, social justice,
and forms of oppositional consciousness in borderlands science fiction.
- "Written on the Body: A Third Space Reading of Larry McMurtry’s Streets of Laredo" Western American Literature Winter, 2012.
- "An Ecology of Healing: Gloria Anzaldúa's Ecocritical Leanings." Forthcoming in Queer Perspectives in Anzaldúa: A Post/Borderlands Anthology.
- "Border Theory and the Politics of Place, Space and Memory in John Sayles's Lone Star."
Quarterly Review of Film and Video, 27(3), 210-218.
- "Alejandro Morales., Great Lives from History: Latinos." Pasadena, CA: Salem Press. "Santeria." In Charles Tatum, PhD (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Latino Culture. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood Press/ABC-CLIO.
- "Secular Celebrations Overview.," Encyclopedia of Latino Culture. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood Press/ABC-CLIO.
- Recovering the Hispanic History of Texas, "Western American Literature.
- In Melody Graulich (Ed.), Randy Lopez Goes Home. Logan, UT: Western American Literature.
- Rolando Hinojosa. Great Lives from History: Latinos. Pasadena, CA: Salem Press.
- "The Road." In Tracy Irons-Georges (Ed.), Masterplots. Pasadena, CA: Salem Press.
- Rev. ofAncient Greece in Film and Popular Culture. Ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Journal of Popular Culture. 43.3 (June 2010): 645-647.
- Rev. ofFrantic Panoramas: American Literature and Mass Culture, 1870-1920. Ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Journal of Popular Culture. 43.2 (April 2010): 409-11.
- Rev. ofThe Life and Times of a Legend: Bigfoot. Ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Journal of Popular Culture. 42.6 (Dec 2009): 1137-9.
- Born in East L.A. (film) Encyclopedia of American Immigration. 3 vols. Ed. Carl L. Bankston III. Pasadena: Salem Press, 2010. 119-120.
- The Immigrant (film). Encyclopedia of American Immigration. 3 vols. Ed. Carl L. Bankston III. Pasadena: Salem Press, 2010. 522-523.
- LareDOS, A Journal of the Borderlands. Monthly Movie Review Writer, 2007 – Present.
- Gloria Lyerla Research Travel Grant, 2012
- Featured Speaker, Latino and Latin American Space for Enrichment Research (LASER)
at The Ohio State University, Nov. 2012