Ph.D. Oklahoma State
Baugh specializes in film/media studies with emphases in Chicana/o and Latin American
cultural studies. A second edition of Mediating Chicana/o Culture: Multicultural American Vernacular came out in 2008. His current books projects are Born of Resistance: Cara a Cara Encounters with Chicana/o Visual Culture with Víctor
Sorell, and Screening Mestizaje, a study of multicultural aesthetics in American cinema. His articles have appeared
in Quarterly Review of Film and Video, Journal of Film & Video, Film & History, and the Columbia Companion to Film and History. His book, Latino American Cinema: An Encyclopedia of Movies, Stars, Concepts, and Trends was published in 2012
- Latino American Cinema: An Encyclopedia of Movies, Stars, Concepts, and Trends. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood/ABC-Clio, 2012. 315 pp
- Mediating Chicana/o Culture: Multicultural American Vernacular. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars P. 1/e, 2006; 2/e, 2008. 240 pp
Edited Journal Special Issues
- Journal of Film & Video, 57.1-2 (2005). Double issues on Experimental and Multicultural film, video, and
digital media arts. With Willie Varela. 106 pp
- Film & History, 34.2 (2004). Latin American Film History, part 2. With Mike Schoenecke. 112 pp
- Film & History, 34.1 (2004). Latin American Film History, part 1. With Mike Schoenecke. 112 pp
- "'New' New Latin American Cinema Manifestoes," solicited for Routledge Companion on Film & Politics, eds. Claire Malloy & Yannis Tzioumakis. London: Routledge. Forthcoming.
- "Sense and Sensibilities: Discontinuing Conventions in/for Willie Varela's Burning Worlds," in Born of Resistance. Forthcoming.
- Interview with Willie Varela, in Born of Resistance. Forthcoming.
- "Resisting Definitions of Chicana/o Visual Culture" (Introduction to Born of Resistance). With Víctor A. Sorell, forthcoming.
- "Hecho en Mexico, @cross ‘Digital Divides’: Border Graffiti and Narrative Codes in
Fran Ilich’s Ciudad/City," Mediating Chicana/o Culture, 2/e (2008), 140-164.
- "Aquí y Ahora on Teaching Chicana/o Cultural Studies" (Afterword to 2/e), Mediating Chicana/o Culture, 2/e (2008), 201-222.
- "Film: With Stars in Their Eyes" The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Popular Culture. Series ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Westport, CT: Greenwood. (2007), 107-135.
- “Meaningful ‘Juxtapositions’: A Conversation with Willie Varela.” Journal of Film & Video, 23.5 (2006), 389-408.
- “Conversing Brokeback Mountain’s Varied Spaces and Contested Desires”. Intertexts, 10.2, (2006), 155-179. With Sara Spurgeon, Donovan Gwinner, and O. Alan Weltzien.
- “Cinematic Dis-Contents: Addressing a Latina/Latino Avant-Garde through the Browser
Apparatus.” Journal of Film & Video, 57.1-2, (2005): 57-77.
- “The Evolution of Writing: An Interview with Mark Spragg.” Iron Horse Literary Review. 6.1 (2004): 13-31.
- “Developing History/Historicizing Development in Mexican Nuevo Cine Manifestoes around
la Crisis.” Film & History. 34.2 (2004): 25-37.
- “Latin American History and Critical Media Studies: Curricular Explorations.” Film & History. 34.2 (2004): 65-85.
- “Manifesting la Historia: Systems of ‘Development’ and the New Latin American Cinema
Manifesto.” Film & History. 34.1 (2004): 56-65.
- “Mexican/Americans.” American History on Film: How the Movies Have Portrayed the American Past. Ed. Peter Rollins. New York: Columbia UP, 2003. 269-76.
- “Changing of the Guard: Pinche Pintas and ‘Family’/Familia in Contemporary Chicano
Film.” Journal of Film and Video. 55.2-3 (Summer/Fall 2003). 3-21.
- American Historical Association—Film & History League’s Scholarly Editing Award (for
Film & History [34.1 (2004)] special issue on Latin American film history) with Mike
- Support of Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity in the Arts and Humanities,”
Vice President for Research, TTU, “Project Grant Proposal: Mitoteando con Media: Revolutions
in Chicana/Chicano Video Art”—for archival research in 2006, Video Data Bank, School
of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- “Visiting Scholar Fellowship,” Centro de Estudios Americanos/Center for American Studies,
Universidad Autonoma de Coahuila/Autonomous University of Coahuila, Saltillo, Coahuila,
MX—for workshop at the Center for American Studies and archival research at the School
of Arts, Autonomous University of Coahuila in 2005.