Scott L. Baugh specializes in film/media studies with emphases in Chicana/o & Latina/o cinema and Latin American cultural studies. He is the author of Latino American Cinema (Greenwood, 2012), the co-editor with Victor A. Sorell of Born of Resistance: Cara a Cara Encounters with Chicana/o Visual Culture (U of Arizona P, 2016), and the editor of Mediating Chicana/o Culture: Multicultural American Vernacular (Cambridge Scholars, second edition, 2008). His current research projects include a collection of writing by and about luminary Chicano experimental artist Willie Varela; a critical monograph on Alfonso Cuáron's landmark film Y Tu Mamá Tambíen; a study of cultural mestizaje and multicultural aesthetics in American cinema; and a study of contemporary Latin American media culture, cinema, and manifestoes.Books
- Journal of Film & Video, 57.1-2 (2005). Double issues on Experimental and Multicultural film, video, and digital media arts. With Willie Varela. 106 pp
- Film & History, 34.2 (2004). Latin American Film History, part 2. With Mike Schoenecke. 112 pp
- Film & History, 34.1 (2004). Latin American Film History, part 1. With Mike Schoenecke. 112 pp
- "'New' New Latin American Cinema Manifestoes," in Routledge Companion to Cinema and Politics, eds. Yannis Tzioumakis and Claire Malloy. London: Routledge (2016), 79-90.
- "Sense and Sensibilities: Discontinuing Conventions in/for Willie Varela's Burning Worlds," in Born of Resistance. Tuscon: U of Arizona P (2016): 245-253.
- "A Conversation with Willie Varela," in Born of Resistance. Tuscon: U of Arizona P (2016), 232-238.
- "Resisting Definitions of Chicana/o Visual Culture" (Introduction) in Born of Resistance. Tuscon: U of Arizona P (2016), 3-36. With Victor A. Sorell.
- "Hecho en Mexico, @cross 'Digital Divides': Border Graffiti and Narrative Codes in Fran Ilich's Cuidad/City," Mediating Chicana/o Culture, 2/e (2008), 140-164.
- Aquí y Ahora on Teaching Chicana/o Cultural Studies" (Afterword to 2/e), Mediating Chicana/o Culture, 2/e (2008), 201-222.
- "Film: With Stars in Their Eyes" in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Popular Culture. Series ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Westport, CT: Greenwood. (2007), 107-135.
- "Meaningful 'Juxtapositions': A Conversation with Willie Varela." Journal of Film & Video, 23.5 (2006), 389-408.
- "Conversing Brokeback Mountain's Varied Spaces and Contesed Desires." Intertexts, 10.2, (2006), 155-179. With Sara Spurgeon, Donovan Gwinner, and O. Alan Weltzien.
- "Cinematic Dis-Contents: Addressing a Latina/Latino Avant-Garde through the Browser Apparatus." Journal of Film & Video, 57.1-2, (2005): 55-77.
- "The Evolution of Writing: An Interview with Mark Spragg." Iron Horse Literary Review, 6.1 (2004): 13-31.
- "Developing History/Historicizing Development in Mexican Nuevo Cine Manifestoes around la Crisis." Film & History, 34.2 (2004): 25-37.
- "Latin American History and Critical Media Studies: Curricular Explorations." Film & History, 34.2 (2004): 65-85.
- "Manifesting la Historia: Systems of 'Development' and the New Latin American Cinema Manifesto." Film & History, 34.1 (2004): 56-65.
- "Mexican/Americans." American History on Film: How the Movies Have Portrayed the American Past. Ed. Peter Rollins. New York: Columbia UP, 2003. 269-76.
- "Changing of the Guard: Pinche Pintas and 'Family'/Familia in Contemporary Chicano Film." Journal of Film and Video, 55.2-3 (Summer/Fall 2003). 3-21.
- Lawrence Schovanec Teaching Academy Fellowship, TTU, 2016.
- SCMLA-South Central Modern Language Association, Faculty Research Award, 2015-2016.
- TTU Libraries Lyerla Travel Grant, for archival research in 2016, Stanford University Library's Special Collection.
- PCA/ACA-Popular Culture/American Culture Associations' Marshall Fishwick Research Grant, 2008.
- American Historical Association - Film & History League's Scholarly Editing Award (for Film & History [34.1 (2004)] speical issue on Latin American film history) with Mike Schoenecke. 2004.
- Support of Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity in the Arts and Humanities," Vice President for Research, TTU, "Project Grant Proposal: Mitoteando con Media: Revolutions in Chicana/Chicano Video Art" - for archival research in 2006, Video Data Bank, School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- "Visiting Scholar Fellowship," Centro de Estudios Americanos/Center for American Studies, Universidad Autonoma de Coahuila/Autonomous University of Coahuila, Saltillo, Coahuila, MX - for workshop at the Center of American Studies and archival research at the School of Arts, Autonomous University of Coahuila in 20[??]
- Latino American Cinema: An Encyclopedia of Movies, Stars, Concepts, and Trends. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood/ABC-Clio, 2012. 315 pp
- Born of Resistance: Cara a Cara Encounters with Chicana/o Visual Culture. Tuscon: U of Arizona P, 2016. 340 pp (co-edited with Victor A. Sorell)
- Mediating Chicana/o Culture: Multicultural American Vernacular. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars P. 1/e, 2006; 2/e, 2008. 240 pp